No announcement yet.

Growing Melons in the UK

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surface texture, oooh photo please Chris so I know what I’m looking for as I’m growing them too (first time) so had no idea they would change on the surface.

Comment

The texture on mine isn't pronounced enough yet to show up will in a pic, only enough so far to tell by touch.

This is, apparently, what they should go like;
      https://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Vege...+F1_437393.htm

Comment

Remembered to take my camera down the garden tonight so took a few snaps to show how the melons are changing as they (hopefully ) ripen.Click image for larger version

Name:	midget 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	2379264Click image for larger version

Name:	midget 2.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	2379265

Comment

Just to add, four tomatoes,five melons and a potted nectarine is too much for a eight foot greenhouse
          The midget melons are well behaved but the "petit" ones are going absolutely bonkers. They've crossed the floor, climbed up the tomato canes and spread to the fan trained nectarine There must be at least twenty melons set on two plants so i think the snips might be coming out.

Comment

Today was my Birthday and I've hit the big 50!!!
            So I could think of no better breakfast that to harvest the first ripe melon

Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Birthday melon x.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	2379295

It wasn't huge, but goodness was it tasty

Comment

Originally posted by Earthgirl Jen View Post
              Today was my Birthday and I've hit the big 50!!!
              So I could think of no better breakfast that to harvest the first ripe melon

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81660[/ATTACH]

It wasn't huge, but goodness was it tasty
              Happy birthday. Jen!

Comment

15th July 2018 Weekly melon update

All melons still alive but growth has slowed down this last week.

As I ate the first ripe melon these are the other 2 that were next to it last week. The biggest is now ripening and changing colour as are 2 others in the greenhouse. There are also 4 other melons growing. The cfw melons didn't produce any female flowers this week for me to pollinate so maybe next week we'll see.

Name:	15th July 2018 greenhouse melon.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	2379387

The leaves of the greenhouse melons are still growing in the greenhouse but not with the mad exuberance they did for the first 3 wks. They've slowed down but so has the temperature the last week. They have had the odd leaf showing slight mildew since they started growing but this has become more pronounced this week as we have had night time temps of 10c or just above and if the weather is to be believed next week we can expect to some rain and higher humidity. so lets see what the week brings.

Name:	15th july greenhouse melons growth.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2379388

The sugar baby watermelons have slowed their growth as well this week. Only to be expected as our daytime temps haven't been as hot and the nights have been colder. I don't know if they are going to put on any more growth, I shall have to wait and see as the curly tendril growing right next to the melon is still very healthy.

Name:	15th july 2018 sugarbaby watermelons.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2379389

This picture of the sugarbaby watermelons was taken on the 22nd June. Just over 3 weeks ago, it just shows how hot the weather has been.

Name:	22nd June 2018 sugarbaby watermelons.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	2379390

Comment

15th July Porch melons update.

They are actually very healthy and loving the porch temps. No signs of mildew on any leaves and they are still producing female flowers. Also interesting to note the female flowers and male flowers are much larger than the ones in the greenhouse.

Name:	15th july 2018 porch melons.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	2379391

The large porch melon has now started to ripen (I shall be saving the seed from this one) as you can see it's starting to turn slightly yellow and there are another 3 confirmed ones growing. There are lots of little other baby melons, I'm just waiting for some confirmed growth. One baby melon this week reached the size of a large walnut before it decided to turn yellow and drop off. So another week of patiently waiting.

Name:	15th july 2018 porch melon ripening.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2379392

Comment

I have 2 tiny, pea-sized melons on my Petit Gris de Rennes, in the greenhouse. Fingers crossed they carry on growing.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                      I have 2 tiny, pea-sized melons on my Petit Gris de Rennes, in the greenhouse. Fingers crossed they carry on growing.
                      I'm crossing my fingers for you as well Thelma, there is no reason they won't...
                      As long as they are pollinated, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that if you get a melon to 'take' while the weather is 'hot-hot-hot' then it will usually take just a couple of days before they start to 'swell before your eyes' ... so to speak...
                      If a melon takes and the day was not quite so hot then it can take upto a week before it springs into action...
                      You are in Kent, 'in theory' much warmer than the west coast

Comment

Originally posted by mosstrooper View Post
                        Just to add, four tomatoes,five melons and a potted nectarine is too much for a eight foot greenhouse
                        The midget melons are well behaved but the "petit" ones are going absolutely bonkers. They've crossed the floor, climbed up the tomato canes and spread to the fan trained nectarine There must be at least twenty melons set on two plants so i think the snips might be coming out.
                        Evening mosstrooper, apologies for the late reply, Your greenhouse sounds 'lush' (colloquial term for 'bloody marvellous')
                        Loving your pics by the way thank you x 'doffs cloth cap in appreciation'
                        Did all 20 set? I'm finding that while most of the melons 'appear' to take, within a week the majority have dropped off. Either due to the fact that they didn't all 'set' on the same day, or the temps in the UK vary so much. Melons seem to me to be very heat, or at least consistent heat sensitive...
                        Please tell me I'm wrong and you have loads of melons swelling as we speak

Comment

melons

Evening Jen, hope you enjoyed your big birthday and your birthday melon. Still haven't got a ripe one here, although they smell a bit melony now.All of the pgdr melons are growing but i think they may be holding the first ones back a bit as they aren;t swelling a great deal.
                          The midget melons are still growing and putting out flowers but i think no more are going to set until the first ones ripen and come off, (i.m basing this on the pumpkins i grew for the first time last year)Click image for larger version

Name:	melon 1.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	2379400
                          One of the melons in the border is doing poorly and tonight i found why, when watering all of the soil collapsed into a network of mole runs. I,ve been plagued by these all year since digging in a load of manure so i left him a surprise when he returns.
                          On a brighter note the nectarines are almost there for the first timeClick image for larger version

Name:	nectarine.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	2379401
                          Getting cheesed off with waiting for stuff to ripen though

Comment

First time growing melons, who would have thought this was gonna be the summer for melons.

Outdoor melons in the UK...

There growing out of a compost dalek.

Name:	melons_compost_dalek_c.jpg
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	2379418

They seem to be doing OK so far... but then again its been blistering on my plot for weeks. Last time it rained was mid May.

I'm worried if it carry's on I'm gonna start loosing plants. All my dalek grown stuff seems to be fine as the soil around the roots is shaded deep in the dalek due to the sunken soil level.

Comment

Originally posted by mosstrooper View Post
                              Evening Jen, hope you enjoyed your big birthday and your birthday melon. Still haven't got a ripe one here, although they smell a bit melony now.All of the pgdr melons are growing but i think they may be holding the first ones back a bit as they aren;t swelling a great deal.
                              The midget melons are still growing and putting out flowers but i think no more are going to set until the first ones ripen and come off, (i.m basing this on the pumpkins i grew for the first time last year)[ATTACH=CONFIG]81770[/ATTACH]
                              One of the melons in the border is doing poorly and tonight i found why, when watering all of the soil collapsed into a network of mole runs. I,ve been plagued by these all year since digging in a load of manure so i left him a surprise when he returns.
                              On a brighter note the nectarines are almost there for the first time[ATTACH=CONFIG]81771[/ATTACH]
                              Getting cheesed off with waiting for stuff to ripen though
                              Evening mosstrooper, I appreciate the update and pics

You seem to be experiencing the same as me re melon growth... Hey! but at least we have some this year thanks to our efforts

As for when our melons are ripe, that's going to be a 'gut instinct' thing. My Birthday melon was delicious and a well deserved breakfast feast for at least reaching the big 50 lol... However it could have done with another week or two to ripen even more...

I sympathise with you buddy on Mr Mole, I've had a few burrowing under my onion beds this year, (although who can really blame them this summer for some soft well watered worm hunting) The sets I grew have had to be lifted as the leaves were going over and when pulled from the ground the roots were 'wobbly' and pulled up far to easily.

Well as for the nectarines I'm just jealous.. Have you been tempted to taste one yet?

How long are you prepared to be patient x

Comment

Originally posted by no_akira View Post
                                First time growing melons, who would have thought this was gonna be the summer for melons.

Outdoor melons in the UK...

There growing out of a compost dalek.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81795[/ATTACH]

They seem to be doing OK so far... but then again its been blistering on my plot for weeks. Last time it rained was mid May.

I'm worried if it carry's on I'm gonna start loosing plants. All my dalek grown stuff seems to be fine as the soil around the roots is shaded deep in the dalek due to the sunken soil level.

no_akira I'm so excited for you they look gorgeous Put me out of my misery please, they look slightly watermelon like leaves? what variety are they ?

Sounds like you haven't watered them much ? and whatever you fed your compost darlek, they are thriving on it.

Just like you said... Who knew this was going to be the year we are all able to grow melons, even outside!!!

Appreciate you sharing pics x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X