Potager allotment anyone?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by manicorganic View Post
    as a Canadian I'm only guessing at what you call an allottment. Can you please inform me?
    Hello! First Canadian on the Grapevine?

Allotment: allotted garden. For the dispossessed peasants to grow food on, after the landowners had stolen their land off them and ringfenced it as their own.

(sorry, past my bedtime)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

nice plot

Hey Snadger, lovely pix, and what a lovely ordered plot you have. Still, I rebel against straight lines! Maybe its a man/woman thing...there ain't no straight lines in (mother) Nature
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Hey Snadger, lovely pix, and what a lovely ordered plot you have. Still, I rebel against straight lines! Maybe its a man/woman thing...there ain't no straight lines in (mother) Nature
        Yours is a nice plot also!

There are geometric patterns in nature though, have you ever looked at a snowflake for instance?
        Last edited by Snadger; 19-03-2007, 11:11 PM. Reason: Gaff
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snow, wassat? Global warming here mate! (actually it snowed today, but it melted before I could get a look at a snowflake)

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Snow, wassat? Global warming here mate! (actually it snowed today, but it melted before I could get a look at a snowflake)
            Just look at the frost on the car window tomorrow morning then!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Wassa car?
              Gotta bike, me. (2 wheels good...blah blah blah)

Comment

Snadger,
                Having turned our garden into a Potager, from a weedy and aquilegia-infested mess, totally redesigning it too, I can appreciate what hard work it's taken you from the first photo stage to the last one! Absolutely fantastic, and no wonder you're as pleased as punch.

I'm not quite sure what you meant by 'half sinking the water-butts' into the ground, but why not wrap them in plastic trellis and grow annual climbers like sweetpeas, Cobaea, Black-Eyed Susan, Purple-Bell-Vine etc. around them to disguise them, and attract beneficial insects too? Would look really pretty.
                Even a wigwam of something like Borlotti beans that won't be picked until the Autumn, would give you a really attractive and productive feature to take away the 'blues'!

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                  but why not wrap them in plastic trellis and grow annual climbers like sweetpeas, Cobaea, Black-Eyed Susan, Purple-Bell-Vine etc. around them to disguise them, and attract beneficial insects too? Would look really pretty.
                  nice !

filed in the hopefully soon to be used Lottie file !

Catch up with my daily doings at http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ and http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/ but wait a while cos these are well out of date ! Don't want to ditch them entirely cos I'll never remember the urls !

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                    Snadger,

I'm not quite sure what you meant by 'half sinking the water-butts' into the ground, but why not wrap them in plastic trellis and grow annual climbers like sweetpeas, Cobaea, Black-Eyed Susan, Purple-Bell-Vine etc. around them to disguise them, and attract beneficial insects too? Would look really pretty.
                    Even a wigwam of something like Borlotti beans that won't be picked until the Autumn, would give you a really attractive and productive feature to take away the 'blues'!
                    Wellie,

You've just given me a great idea for the centre of my herb wheel. I think I might grow some clematis or even sweet peas on an obelisk. Thanks!!
                    Last edited by *Feather*; 20-03-2007, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Wow, what an achievement, it looks great! I now want a herb-wheel.

Comment

I want a herb wheel too, but must learn to walk before I run. Very impressive Snadger, hat's off to ya!
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Just came back to this from a link on another thread; and thanks Wellie - you're a GENUIS.

So many new ideas. Or are they old ideas??? Anyway they are top ideas, and I'm going to rescue another water butt from a patch on the lottie that hasn't been allocated yet - I saw it the other day but it's amongst trees and now I've got my guttering up, I'm going to link it to the other butt halfway up the lottie.

And hello ManicOrganic; I'm originally from Ontario Canada [born in Cooksville, Ont]...

Comment

Zazzen!!You're a Star!!Was prepared to spend many a while searching this thread having read I assume the same thread you read & being curious!!However not so sure how grateful Andi'll be as I already had lots of "building" designs in my head for him to achieve over the winter months!!
                            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Having dug this post out earlier this week, I am reinvigorated! - I need 30 potager beds so am itching to get digging......
                              Snadger, have you any more recent photos of the plot???
                              Tx

Comment

Well, I went to Ryton Garden Organic today and am totally inspired...If you can get there - it's lovely. 50 mins from here on a saturday as well.

I have 9 long beds at the lottie, but am going to break them into lots of smaller beds - which I sort of did anyway just not formally - and I'm going to use various herbs to make the breaks. I did use garlic and onions last year to separate areas of the beds - so I'm adding to that this year Garlic Chives. The flowers on these are wonderful.

I did dig out the water butt, but it was only half a butt - so I'm working out designs for capturing water and growing dwarf beans around it.

So many ideas, and so little daylight in the evenings!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X