Fire container

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire container

When I took over my plot there were a number of items laying about one being a 19KG gas tank. These are difficult things to dispose of so it was recycle time.
    I first removed the valve and left it to air for a couple of days to clear out any traces of gas.
    I took it home where there is power and with a 4 inch disk cutter I cut around just inside the carry handle and down the side in front of the handle to the first weld.
    I then cut holes above the base weld line and between the welds where the base is joined on so that solid metal remains above the welds.
    It burns very hot with dry wood but needs the odd poke in the holes with very ashy waste.
    It took a little over an hour of disk cutter work to complete the job.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Plot70; 21-04-2020, 02:48 AM.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

My friend made me one out of an old oil drum. The lid became a grate and he made air holes in the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
      I first removed the valve and left it to air for a couple of days to clear out any traces of gas.
      I've got a taller one of these that I plan to make into a chimnea when mine falls apart.

With regards to making sure there is absolutely no residual gas inside, before taking a cutter to it, FILL IT WITH WATER!.

That way you know it will be safe.
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

What is the intended use of the Fire container? is it a BBQ or for burning weeds?

If you'd returned it to Calor Gas they would have paid you for it. Too late now.
        Last edited by veggiechicken; 21-04-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

You need the original paper contract to get the deposit back. That makes them very difficult to get rid of.
          I use it for burning weeds and broken fence posts and any wood that has got too many nails in it.
          You can tip the ash where you want it.
          A couple of days of direct sunlight with the tap removed gets all of the gas out.
          Have you seen how flimsy those steel bins with a little chimney on them are?
          The oil drum ones were quite popular in the 1970s for heating picket lines.

Comment

Previous threads about the conversion of gas tanks have been closed - just saying!
            Calor have take legal action against sites giving advice on this.

Fires | Fireplaces | Stoves: Calor issues safety warning after oil drum death

Comment

The thing I have never seen is a return facility for any that get left laying around unused.
              The council recycling center or any private scrap dealers will not accept them.
              Does anyone know what else to do with them.

Comment

Its on the Clor website

Can’t find your Cylinder Refill Agreement paperwork? Don’t worry, we all misplace things.

We offer £7.50 for each Calor gas bottle that is returned to one of our Calor Centres.** To find your nearest Calor Centre call us on 0800 022 4146, or use our retailer finder tool and apply the 'Calor Centre' filter.

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/advice/returns

Comment

I must admit it was a long time ago I last checked.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X