Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond repair

Hi all,

I've accidentally nicked a tiny hole in my pond liner. I was using an engineering brick to weigh down the liner but accidentally knocked it into the pond. What I thought was just a scuff has obviously gone through as the pond's half empty this morning.

Do you think I could get away with using a bicycle puncture repair kit to mend it? I'm not sure what the liner is made of - it's one of these.

Any thoughts?
    Cheers, MBE
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

It’s probably Butyl. I have repaired holes in mine with a patch of the pond liner and Bostick Professional glue. The glue is a nitrile based one, I have used the glue for sticking plastic plumbing pipes together. Clean the area around the hole and scuff it up with an abrasive paper, make sure the area is dry and stick on the patch. I always put on a much bigger patch than the area of the hole to make sure it sticks well.
    Best of luck
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I was wrong. The brick didn't nick the liner - there's a join in the liner and the weld has failed.

It's got a 40 year guarantee, so I'll see what the seller has to say.
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Happily a new bit of liner should be on the way as we speak.

As a plus, the failed pond liner will be great for lining planters that I might build in the future. Nothing will be thrown away.

Comment

We have one of those type liners, it's been punctured twice, once by a magpie (beak) and more recently by a fox pulling at one of the folds (complete jaw shape of holes). The only thing I found that stuck to it is roofing felt adhesive.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X