Decent Garden Tools?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Garden Tools?

I need to invest in a decent spade, fork and hoe. I've always bought whatever was on offer before but I want to buy something decent that wont bend as soon as it hits a rock.

I have no clue what kind of price range I should be looking at, or what brands. Is there anything I should avoid particularly or are they all much and such?

Any tips or advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

We bought ours at least 15 years ago in Wilko. We did buy the stainless steel ones which were dearer than the standard ones, but a lot cheaper than stainless steel ones elsewhere. ( I knew that at some point my husband would forget them and leave them outside to rust). On a few occasions they have been left outside but are basically still as good as the day we bought them.

Comment

I've started buying stainless tools as the current ones rot because I never put stuff away: I'm going to use it in the garden so why not just leave it there.

Two problems: I can't find a stainless Cornish shovel and stainless ones seem to be very heavy.
      Titanium anyone?
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
      ∃

Comment

Always pick up and hold the tool, is it comfortable to hold?
        We have 3 spades, but I only ever use one- stainless border spade, sharp blade, D handle - but you might prefer something completely different ;-)

Comment

Always pick up and hold the tool, is it comfortable to hold?
          We have 3 spades, but I only ever use one- stainless border spade, sharp blade, D handle - but you might prefer something completely different ;-)

Comment

I tend to just by mine cheap on eBay. The thinking being that they’re cheap so it doesn’t matter if I leave it in the mud, forget to put it away, snap it, etc.

My mum bought my wife a posh spade and fork set. They’re quite narrow so it’s not back breaking work digging. She spent a small fortune and the fork snapped a tine of within about a fortnight. That was stainless steel!

Comment

I tend to just by mine cheap on eBay. The thinking being that they’re cheap so it doesn’t matter if I leave it in the mud, forget to put it away, snap it, etc.

My mum bought my wife a posh spade and fork set. They’re quite narrow so it’s not back breaking work digging. She spent a small fortune and the fork snapped a tine of within about a fortnight. That was stainless steel!

Comment

Yep I just buy cheap so when the the local human wildlife invade the allotments if they do nick stuff I'm not gutted.

Comment

Only Kent and Stowe for me

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                    Only Kent and Stowe for me
                    They look nice, I'll have to try them. I was using my Spe@r and J@ckson stainless steel border fork to get dandelions out of my clay last autumn and there was an ominous crack from the wooden handle. I've only had it a couple of years, too. I got it because of the name, they used to have a good reputation for well made tools when I was a lad. So when it finally gives up completely (probably this summer) I'll get a Kent and Stowe replacement.
                    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

If you register your new tools they replace free, broke my first one after 3 years and was replaced no questions asked

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
                        If you register your new tools they replace free, broke my first one after 3 years and was replaced no questions asked
                        Yes, I should do that but never seem to get round to it. I naively tend to assume that if something has a 5 year guarantee it is unlikely to go wrong until year 6.
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

When talking of tools "good" usually means durable and long-lasting. However I want tools that are light and pleasant to use; that let me do the job with minimum of effort. Durability is on the list but not at the top.
                          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                          ∃

Comment

Over about 40 years of gardening there's no question for me that with hand tools the steel in the oldest ones is among the best, so if you can find a spade or fork which is 70 or more years old and not worn out then buy that. Of course, you'll usually need to put a new handle on it, but then you'll have the best of both worlds - a brand-new handle and a quality steel head.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                              Over about 40 years of gardening there's no question for me that with hand tools the steel in the oldest ones is among the best, so if you can find a spade or fork which is 70 or more years old and not worn out then buy that. Of course, you'll usually need to put a new handle on it, but then you'll have the best of both worlds - a brand-new handle and a quality steel head.
                              Will do Trigger
                              Cheers

Danny

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X