Closing double gate at the veg patch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing double gate at the veg patch

I’ve put up our gate for the veg patch. The bolt we have is too short and doesn’t keep the gate closed.
    Any clever suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Our DIY and sustainability journey: My Home Farm

If both halves of the gate are hinged you need a second bolt that goes into a socket in the ground.
    If you want to keep it simple a hook and eye latch would do the job.

Comment

^^^ agreed!

or just abandon locks altogether and wrap a rope around the top in a figure of 8?
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Comment

The farmers round here seem to favour either a length of rusty chain looped round the moving ends of both gates to link them together, often with an unusable padlock attached presumably to give the impression that the gates are locked, or if the gate is in frequent use a bit binder twine tied to one gate and looped over the other so it can be slipped on and off easily.

Posh places sometimes have those up and over thingies made from steel which is fixed to one gate's top bar so that it can pivot around a rod through the gate and when closed the open end of the steel closer drops down on top of the other gate to hold it in place. I suppose if you had a little metal working skill and could find a piece of suitable scrap steel you could make one in about an hour. A simple bolt through the closer and gate top bar to act as the pivot with a nut on the end to prevent it slipping out would be the easy bit, and as the closer can be any length it would not matter much how big the gap between gates is.

Comment

The hook and eye latch in its simplest form is indeed just a loop of bailer twine.

Comment

Take out the existing bolt and use a longer tent peg?
            Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

In the garden I bashed a length of scrap timber into the ground under where the gates meet in the middle until it was flush with the soil surface then fitted a vertical bolt to one gate, dropped the bolt down to the wood, marked it and drilled a hole for the bolt to slot into.

For the drive way we have a vertical bolt and a “throw over loop” as described above.
              Last edited by Stan79; 15-05-2020, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X