Ants in the compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants in the compost

Hi all. I have just discovered an ant’s nest in my compost bin. What can I do to get rid of them? Any ideas and advice gratefully received.

Thanks
    John

A kettle full of boiling water is usually effective.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Vine, John P.

I must admit I do nothing about ants' nests in my compost bin in the hope that they're contributing to the composting process. Plus anything you do to kill the ants is liable to kill off other beneficial insects.

Are you sure you need to remove them?
      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 01-07-2024, 12:31 PM.

Comment

If you have ants in your compost bin then it's a sure sign that your bin is too dry. A compost bin maintained at the ideal moisture level for rapid decomposition will be too wet for ants to want to live in.
        So, that being the case, your best bet is to water it. You'll probably want to water it multiple times across the next few weeks, as a lot of the water you add is likely to just pass straight through, rather than actually soaking into the material.

Going forward, you may also want to take another look at what you put in there, or rather the ratios of wet to dry material, and how finely chopped it is.
        Large material, especially large dryer or woodier material, is best chopped as finely as you can. Large bits in the compost bin create large air gaps, which are all round bad for decomposition (they make it hard for the decomposing microorganisms to move and spread properly, and they cause the heap to dry out much faster).
        Last edited by ameno; 01-07-2024, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
          If you have ants in your compost bin then it's a sure sign that your bin is too dry. A compost bin maintained at the ideal moisture level for rapid decomposition will be too wet for ants to want to live in.
          So, that being the case, your best bet is to water it. You'll probably want to water it multiple times across the next few weeks, as a lot of the water you add is likely to just pass straight through, rather than actually soaking into the material.

Going forward, you may also want to take another look at what you put in there, or rather the ratios of wet to dry material, and how finely chopped it is.
          Large material, especially large dryer or woodier material, is best chopped as finely as you can. Large bits in the compost bin create large air gaps, which are all round bad for decomposition (they make it hard for the decomposing microorganisms to move and spread properly, and they cause the heap to dry out much faster).

Thanks for the useful information. I did water it down a bit this afternoon as I noticed it was dry.

Cheers

John

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X