No announcement yet.

Home Made Grow Lights

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On reading the spec, it looks like you get 2 tubes. If not, you want cool white. There is a bit of info Here on the best types of T8 Tubes.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
      Oh yes, better not forget about my 'S' hooks, I also need to get 2 threaded hooks to screw into the back of the unit to attach the chains. I've got a wee credit note stuffed at the back of my purse from our local hardware store that will take care of that.

It doesn't look like you get the tubes with it - which ones should I go for and who has the keenest prices?

Love, love, love this thread
      I found chain to be quite a rip off for what it is especially the decorative coloured chain which is all i could find in local shops, i bought some light hangers called rope ratchets which are very easy to adjust and strong and you can choose them with s-hooks or Karabiner clips and the ropes are very long too.

i would email the ebay seller and ask if that comes with bulbs, also doesnt say tube length or wattage needed, but from the picture with dimensions its a 4 foot so will be 36w t8 tubes but do check.
      look for daylight tubes or cool white but others will work too, on the box or bulb look for any of these 3 ways used to describe colour 860/865/765 - Daylight - 6000K- 6500K
      Phillips, GE, Osram or Sylvania bulbs will all be high quality.

Warm whites are most common in hardware shops, some have cool white and daylight not so often.
      T5 bulbs are a lot cheaper than t8 at least online, and they are more efficient while putting out more light per inch of tube.
      Last edited by woody21; 12-01-2013, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by woody21 View Post
        I found chain to be quite a rip off for what it is especially the decorative coloured chain which is all i could find in local shops, i bought some light hangers called rope ratchets which are very easy to adjust and strong and you can choose them with s-hooks or Karabiner clips and the ropes are very long too.

i would email the ebay seller and ask if that comes with bulbs, also doesnt say tube length or wattage needed, but from the picture with dimensions its a 4 foot so will be 36w t8 tubes but do check.
        look for daylight tubes or cool white but others will work too, on the box or bulb look for any of these 3 ways used to describe colour 860/865/765 - Daylight - 6000K- 6500K
        Phillips, GE, Osram or Sylvania bulbs will all be high quality.

Warm whites are most common in hardware shops, some have cool white and daylight not so often.
        T5 bulbs are a lot cheaper than t8 at least online, and they are more efficient while putting out more light per inch of tube.
        I've emailed them re the tubes, thanks for all the info. I made my frame today so just waiting for the unit to arrive next week.

Comment

• My garland grow light garden bulbs run quite hot, I thought they were supposed to be cool? If I have my seedlings really close I think they'll Scorch?

Comment

• Originally posted by chris View Post
            My garland grow light garden bulbs run quite hot, I thought they were supposed to be cool? If I have my seedlings really close I think they'll Scorch?
            The tubes do run hot but the heat they throw out is very low energy and does not travel very far with any intensity, my chilli seedlings are rocketing along and seem to benefit from the warmth about 3 - 3.5 inches from the tubes without fans, i now have fans and have this morning moved plants up to 1.5 inches from tubes and will see if they stay happy.

chilli grower has plants at a similar distance by the looks of it and is measuring temperature and gets a comfortable 23 degrees under 4 t5 tubes, with that temperature and enough light plants the plants should be fooled into thinking its summer and play ball!
            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ght_69412.html

Comment

• Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
              I've emailed them re the tubes, thanks for all the info. I made my frame today so just waiting for the unit to arrive next week.
              my frame is very ghetto and consists of 2 dead xbox consoles to prop up the lights at either end! nothing pretty but does the job for now and took all of 60 seconds to assemble, just have to watch i dont knock it all over even though it seems fairly stable.

Comment

• Originally posted by chris View Post
                My garland grow light garden bulbs run quite hot, I thought they were supposed to be cool? If I have my seedlings really close I think they'll Scorch?
                My tubes are warm to the touch, even after being on for hours.........not sure if that's a good thing or bad.
                Last edited by Bigmallly; 13-01-2013, 09:20 AM.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• My Blue Peter light is just warm to touch.
                  Is there some confusion over the meaning of "Cool" white and "Warm" white? I take it to mean the quality of the light rather than the temperature of the bulb?

Comment

• Cool White and warm white are colour temperature and only relate to the colour you see and these no difference in running temperature of the bulb.
                    Warm whte for example just has more red phosphor in the tube to give more red light and a warmer looking colour.

T5 tubes run quite warm and rely on some warmth in the tubes for best light output and cooling the tubes too much reduces light output, t8 tubes run cooler but then put out less light.
                    Warmth is very normal and not anything to be worried about and is perfectly safe, the surface of a t5 tube when warmed up will be around 70 degrees celcius but heat energy does drop off fast every cm from the tube, plants touching them do burn as i found out last year.

Comment

• Ah good, tha me for that woody

Comment

• Bloody phone.

That should have said thanks for that woody

Comment

• Don't believe him Woody - that's how Chris speaks

Comment

• Just trying to fit in with the locals, VC!

Comment

• Originally posted by woody21 View Post
                              Cool White and warm white are colour temperature and only relate to the colour you see and these no difference in running temperature of the bulb.
                              Warm whte for example just has more red phosphor in the tube to give more red light and a warmer looking colour.

T5 tubes run quite warm and rely on some warmth in the tubes for best light output and cooling the tubes too much reduces light output, t8 tubes run cooler but then put out less light.
                              Warmth is very normal and not anything to be worried about and is perfectly safe, the surface of a t5 tube when warmed up will be around 70 degrees celcius but heat energy does drop off fast every cm from the tube, plants touching them do burn as i found out last year.
                              Thanks woody i was thinking it meant heat glad you cleared that one up.
                              Sorry veggiechicken did not see your post as you cleared it up as well
                              Last edited by veg man; 13-01-2013, 07:36 PM.
                              come on in take a seat time for tea

Comment

• tried to check out the bulb that came with the flouresent its 48" long the only marking on it are, Wickes white 07/20 so it came from wickes but have no idea if its warm or cool white or if it is any good for the seedling .
                                come on in take a seat time for tea

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X