new tools

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tools

im in the market for garden tools at the mo im borrowing the old mans stuff. i need a fork and a rake. any ideas on how much to spend.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Go to a car boot sale and pay pence rather than pounds for them!
    I find most new tools are 'numb' and the old tools were made to be used on a regular basis! Usually old draw hoes and spades are a particular bargain!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      Go to a car boot sale and pay pence rather than pounds for them!
      I find most new tools are 'numb' and the old tools were made to be used on a regular basis! Usually old draw hoes and spades are a particular bargain!
      I second that. You can pick up a bargain at the car booties, though you may find that you come home with a few more tools than what you were after in the first place
      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

agree with the boot sale for finding a bargain, the bonus is that if your shed gets done over as much as ours the theiving b*****ds only find stuff worth a couple of quid and usually leave well alone. all my tools have cost me the grand total of £7.25p.
        Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
        Bob Dylan

Comment

I managed to get a fair bit of stuff for free from the freecycle website.
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I did have all 2nd hand tools, all a bit pranged and splintery. I treated myself to a new Spear & Jackson border fork (lady size) and it changed my life. Well nearly
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Was it expensive? Must admit I'm thinking of treating myself to a really comfy fork after bruising my hand a couple of weeks ago ( must have been a bit over enthusiastic!!).

Comment

Lainey Lou, it was about £15 from A*da (end of season sale i think). A really good stainless steel fork, with a 10 year guarantee

Comment

that sounds like a really good bargain!

Comment

Hi Lainey, I think you've probably missed the A***a and T***o end of season sales, but they are really good if you can catch them. I got myself a stainless steel spade and fork set year before last and they've been absolutely superb. S*ds law, my secateurs broke last week and all the special offers are gone so I had to buy at full price. Still, my last ones must have given me 10 years good service and I hope I get similar from the new ones - if you work out the cost over the number of years service it doesn't seem so bad. I would agree, however, with the comment that it really isn't worth leaving good expensive tools in allotment sheds unless the security is 100%. I still carry my stainless ones back and forth (I'm lucky I only live 5 minutes walk from the lottie).

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                      Hi Lainey, I think you've probably missed the A***a and T***o end of season sales, but they are really good if you can catch them. I got myself a stainless steel spade and fork set year before last and they've been absolutely superb. S*ds law, my secateurs broke last week and all the special offers are gone so I had to buy at full price. Still, my last ones must have given me 10 years good service and I hope I get similar from the new ones - if you work out the cost over the number of years service it doesn't seem so bad. I would agree, however, with the comment that it really isn't worth leaving good expensive tools in allotment sheds unless the security is 100%. I still carry my stainless ones back and forth (I'm lucky I only live 5 minutes walk from the lottie).
                      I know stainless steel tools look very pretty and are easy to clean but they always seem to make them out of thicker metal than traditional tools. This adds weight and to my mind makes them rather unweildy and a bit 'numb' methinks!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon View Post
                        agree with the boot sale for finding a bargain, the bonus is that if your shed gets done over as much as ours the theiving b*****ds only find stuff worth a couple of quid and usually leave well alone. all my tools have cost me the grand total of £7.25p.
                        Our sheds are where the car boot people get the 'bargain' tools from in the first place, I believe.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Yes, I think you're right. I have written "stolen" in big letters on all my kit !

Comment

will try the car boot sales first. but then again christmas is coming so i will start a wish list.
                            my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

depends on what tools you want.

Yep Forks and Spades rakes buy the old ones. proper Iron and Ash handles will out last you.
                              But hoes I would go to a good garden center not Homebase or B&Q and play with a few.
                              I have the wolf stuff and its great. They do about 10 differant handles, wood, metal, plastic long and short. and they do about 10 differant heads. so you can get the size and type that fits your body and way of working.

Wolf also do offers in the Spring. so you get one handle and 3 attachments for a reduced price.

I was always taught buy the best tools you can afford and they will last you a life-time.

finally keep them clean and sharp and they will do half the job for you.
                              My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X