Mini conifers ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini conifers ?

I was recently given ten mini conifers that were used as Christmas table decorations in a pub , they are about six inches high, they seem to be going downhill since I got them, they're only in tiny pots maybe just the soil is exhausted , I'm wondering if they are worth re potting or are they just a variety that is grown to be disposable ?

The question is............do you want to grow 10 conifers - not knowing what they are or how large they'll grow?
    You could try potting them up in the hope of growing 10 slightly larger conifers for next Christmas if that's what you'd like?

Personally, I hate conifers so wouldn't plant them in the garden.

Comment

I planted out ex Christmas trees round and about over the years. One, variety unknown, is now towering over most of the oak trees nearby that are well over 100years I would think.

Comment

"Mini" conifers usually aren't dwarf varieties, but just young normal varieties. They'll grow big in no time given half a chance.
        Where are you keeping them, though? The first thing I thought of is that you might still be keeping them indoors. They should be outside all year.

Comment

I definitely would try and rescue them as don’t like seeing the waste. You can always cut them down if they get too tall. Besides if you grow them in a pot, it will restrict them A certain amount anyway.

Kind Regards..........Rob

Comment

I rescued some from a skip a few years ago.They had false snow sprayed on them for Christmas, but it eventually washed off.
            They have stayed dwarf and have beautiful bright yellow/gold new growth early in each season
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

one useful thing about connifers is that the droppings/chippings are good for putting down where you don't want stuff to grow.

Comment

I am sure there are no "dwarf" conifers, there are some that grow a lot slower than others, but if you restrict the roots of any tree, they will remain small, that's how you get Bonsai trees(though you do need to prune the roots of trees to get a proper Bonsai).

Comment

I've had mine in the border in front of the kitchen window. They were 250mm when I planted them and after three years they are now only about 350mm, so 100mm (4 inches )of growth in three years aint too bad.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    I've had mine in the border in front of the kitchen window. They were 250mm when I planted them and after three years they are now only about 350mm, so 100mm (4 inches )of growth in three years aint too bad.
                    They're lulling you into a false sense of security, just getting ready to spring up! I hope you hung them with lights at Christmas?
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                      I am sure there are no "dwarf" conifers, there are some that grow a lot slower than others, but if you restrict the roots of any tree, they will remain small, that's how you get Bonsai trees(though you do need to prune the roots of trees to get a proper Bonsai).
                      There definitely are genuine dwarf conifers. Some grow no more than a foot tall. They're the sort that grow wild in very exposed habitats.
                      These dward conifers are usually rare and expensive to buy, though.
                      Some are less so, mind. All Junipers stay fairly small, for instance, and one (I believe Chinese juniper) is especially small.

Comment

I think I'll give them to charity because I hate the things as well.

Comment

They all turned brown and died, despite being well watered.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X