advice re what to grow.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice re what to grow.

Everything I attemtped to grow this year was a real disaster. Mostly never sprouted (correct word). Spinach literally bolted; no beans. Yet a tomatoe plant given to me the previous year did grow and evven produced a few toms.

I don't have a garded, merely a back yard. Only have containers. Not even sure what would be the most productive plants to grow. The few things I grew the year before have given me an urge to try again. But to be more organised. want to try unusual spuds, herbs etx.

what would you all advise?

The year just gone was not a brill one, was it, DTC? Well done for persevering!

There are quite a few peeps who grow mostly in containers on here to help - I grew some yellow balconi tomatoes in hanging baskets which did ok, and a courgette which was utterley rubbish, but I think the others may have better advice...!

Comment

indeed as Hazel says, put last year behind you DTC - many very experienced gardeners struggled - gives me hope

beans can be grown in pots, use a wigwam as you would for sweetpeas.
      spuds can be grown in large plastic tubs, although last year I used plastic compost bags from the garden centre, just unrolling the bag (upwards) when they needed 'earthing' up - they did pretty good
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

I've grown lots of things well in tubs. I grew salad leaves (cut and come again) all summer, strawberries in a strawberry pot were really successful. If you have a sheltered but sunny spot, I have managed aubergines and yellow peppers. Aubergines do attract snails so be vigilant. I have a small plastic greenhouse and this year grew loads of tomatoes - both yellow and red (shirley the variety was) and both were prolific fruiters. In face, I only got rid of the last plants at the end of October.

I have a half barrel full of herbs - I can recommend chocolate peppermint if you can find it, it makes fab tea but will need containing otherwise it takes over everything. Thyme, basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary...alsorts have grown happily for years. I just refresh the compost every year by scraping out a load and then adding a fresh layer. I think most veg will grow happily - someone on here suggested that growing carrots in a pot was a good idea because you avoided the dreaded carrot fly. Beetroot works too - I remember my old late grandad got old car tyres, stacked them up 2-3 high, filled them with soil and grew amazing beetroot in them Even at the ripe old age of 96 he could tend them easily because there was no lifting, bending or digging. I have found that the key to successful pot growing is to water, water and water. Water every day, even if it has been raining and don't be stingy with it. I think the key is to experiment, make a note of what works and what doesn't.

Good luck
        We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
        Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

We also struggled with the weather last season. We mainly grow in the garden & greenhouse but we did successfully grow early/salad spuds in containers, as well as dwarf french beans, garden pearl tomatoes and a couple of chili peppers.
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 03-01-2008, 02:46 PM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Does the Cooking - may I call you Does?

If you like spinach, you may like to try some perpetual spinach (also called leaf beet). It is very much like spinach but bigger, and some (including me) say it's nicer to eat.

Seed is widely available and there are no varieties to worry about. The plants grow to around a foot high and will splay out, too - they like a little space to produce their best leaves, I have found. One plant to a small bucket would be a good start.

To harvest, you cut a few leaves from each plant then let it grow some more, then cut some more... occasionally they bolt but it's much, much harder to make them do so than ordinary spinach. They often keep producing through summer and autumn, overwinter quietly and then give you a few more leaves before flowering the next year!

It's one of the most productive crops (for the space) that you can grow and I highly recommend trying a few plants.

One courgette plant would be a great thing to try, too - they can be very productive over a long time if you keep picking the fruit. They can be large plants, so don't go mad!

Comment

Oh, by the way, what size containers and what type of soil/ compost did you use this year?

Comment

DoestheCooking, you could add carrots, spring onions and garlic to the list.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I was a newbie (and still am to some extent!) last year, growing only in containers. Although the year wasnt too good overall, I still managed to grow some carrots, potatoes, spring onions, garlic and radishes. My only failure were beetroot and parsnips due to lack of sun. The radishes were HUGE for some reason.

I am not letting the bad summer put me off, and I now have added another 6 vegetables to my growing list!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X