No announcement yet.

What to Grow indoors

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm going to get some window boxes for herbs and lettuce if it will work (i can only try) someone said to me i could do cucumber, spring onions in a window boxes as well but i don't know much about them at the moment.

Unfortunately i dont have a big window in my kitchen, but my gran has offered to house the carrots i will plant.

Comment

That sounds good.

There's no reason why your lettuce and spring onions couldn't be successful in a window box, so go for it.

Cucumber plants can be quite big, and they need more space, and more soil to grow in than the others you have mentioned.

Comment

Hi Ebony, why not try a nice pepper plant in the window box, little hot ones like Apache, very handy for the chilli con carne hehe.
        Welcome to the vine
        "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Or you could invest in a grow tent and buy an Led grow light there expensive to buy £400+ but they last a very long time plus there cheap to run 130w same as an average t.v and if you go down this route then you can grow nearly anything you want bannanas,apples would be difficult but possiable anything like cucumbers,strawberries would be a doddle

Comment

Originally posted by Ebony View Post
            i'm in a first floor flat no one above just sky .......
            Has your place got a flat roof, and if so would you be allowed to put some pots up there?
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Ebony View Post
              hey all,

I'm new here and was just wondering if any of you had any advise i would like to start growing cetain vegs and fruits but i'm only able to do it indoors (i live in a flat) i would like to know how to grow,

Herbs

Potatoes
              Broccoli
              Carrots
              Curly Lettuce
              Spring Onions
              Cucumber

Strawberries
              Grapes
              Kiwi

and am i right in thinking that i wouldn't be able to grow bananas, Apples and Satsumas.

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Thank you
              Ebony
              Old topic, but I came across it because I may be losing my garden soon and may have to take up houseplants.
              Potatoes and grapes indoors though? You must be mad. Where are you growing the potatoes, in the bathtub? Grapes will need a conservatory, in fact I'd prefer it with more people with conservatories grew them since its an excellent use of the space, a good place for them and they look great. It also helps break up the utilitarian look a bit too.

Cucumbers will probably do fine but they'll take up a whole window. Strawberries will prefer a lower temperature. Tomatoes are good indoors though, they just stink a bit though.
              I've attempted strawberries indoors - no fruit (it was winter, I needed greenery and they were summer fruiting. Probably also too hot, although their growth was good).
              I've currently got a fig plant indoors and it is growing some breba figs and seems to do alright, although it's a bit big for the window really. I've also got peach seeds started, although they only like it hot when ripening fruit really.

Indoors in a window I'd try any of the crops associated with the med such as tomatoes and aubergines and figs and olives.
              Some citrus trees such as tangerine or calamondin will grow indoors too but don't like the air too dry. If you have a ridiculously large south facing window then melons might be an option.

Comment

I've just grown some peashoots in a pot. They come up in no time. Good for salads, stirfries and just cooked with other veg.
                Proud Member of the Celery Stalk Nutters Club
                www.annesgardeningdiary.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X