Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to Grow indoors

hey all,

I'm new here and was just wondering if any of you had any advise i would like to start growing cetain vegs and fruits but i'm only able to do it indoors (i live in a flat) i would like to know how to grow,

Herbs

Potatoes
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Curly Lettuce
    Spring Onions
    Cucumber

Strawberries
    Grapes
    Kiwi

and am i right in thinking that i wouldn't be able to grow bananas, Apples and Satsumas.

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Thank you
    Ebony

Welcome to the vine Ebony!

Do you have a balcony at least? I think Bananas and Satsumas are highly unlikely as these are tropical growing fruits.

Whereabouts in UK are you based as no location is given against your profile.
    Last edited by veg4681; 09-01-2008, 02:18 PM.
    Food for Free

Comment

Hi Ebony and welcome
      Herbs are no bother in pots on your windowsill (a la supermarket types.)
      Lettuce and Spring onions should be no bother in window box type pots or troughs, but tatties, kale and cucumber are all big bulky plants and probably not to be encouraged, unless you have a monster flat.
      The carrots can be grown in buckets if you so wish, or alternatively, another window box type trough would be able to grow some of the smaller, round Paris Market types.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi veg4681,

i'm in Stockport Manchester, i dont have a balcony i was planning on growing them in my kitchen (very big)

i just hate buying fruit and veg at the shops cos it costs a bomb and is covered in god knows what.

Thank you

Comment

i have around about 4ft by 3ft space in my kitchen possible more if i really need it up to 6ft 10 by 3ft. i hope this would be enough and i could get some window boxes, but would the be strong enough i'm in a first floor flat no one above just sky and one person below just worried if anything was to fall on anyone.

Comment

You can only grow stuff indoors if it's on a window sill Ebony (or maybe on a table VERY close to a window.) Even so you will have to turn the pots around to make sure they don't lean towards the light. Window boxes are better if they are outside but you'll need to make sure they are securely fixed.

Welcome to the grapevine and good luck.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Ebony View Post
              i have around about 4ft by 3ft space in my kitchen possible more if i really need it up to 6ft 10 by 3ft.
              I gather that this allocated space is right next to an equally large window. You do need some light for your veggies to grow and those mentioned by Sewer Rat are doable examples.

I have seen pictures of tomato, aubergine, pepper and chilli (provided you know what you're doing, can be tricky even in garden with space) grown indoor right next to a large window (acting almost as greenhouse) in gardening books but they might be too tall that they may shade other low growing veggies like your lettuce. Short and compact leafy veggies may be possible, leafy salad, watercress so long they're given the chance to stand right next to the window.
              Food for Free

Comment

is it possible to grow potatoes and carrots indoors, as wouldn't they be to heavy to go in a window box???

Comment

Ebony, have you got a big window or a glass roof to part of your kitchen?

Vegetables need a lot of light to produce a crop and are only grown "indoors" where there is extra light provided.

It is possible to grow some herbs on a bright windowsill but otherwise you need big windows or a conservatory. Even then, it is not a suitable environment for growing potatoes or carrots.

I think you may be biting off more than you can chew.

Start with something small (like herbs) and investigate whether there is somewhere else you can grow your vegetables, like an allotment.

Comment

Ebony I grow Gardener's Delight tomatoes in the kitchen window bottom, this year they even came runners up in GYO Virtual Vegetable Show
                    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi Ebony, probably not telling you anything you don't already know but here's a link to allotments in your area:

Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council |Allotments
                      I was feeling part of the scenery
                      I walked right out of the machinery
                      My heart going boom boom boom
                      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                      I've come to take you home."

Comment

I have also done a mini tomato indoors - as a table centre! It was (I think) Robin F1 - bought as a kit from Woolworth. The most cute houseplant ever. You may also manage to grow some varieties of lemon and orange - I am sure the Dobbys have citrus fruit as houseplants. This thread might help you http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rees_3418.html

Good luck with your growing. I suspect you could try the new courgette - Parthenon F1 hybrid - which doesn't need pollinating so (in theory) could be given a try. If you want to give it a try, send me a PM and I will post you a pair of seeds (only 5 in the packet sorry).
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                          Hi Ebony, probably not telling you anything you don't already know but here's a link to allotments in your area:

Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council |Allotments
                          Oh Seahorse - want to tackle finding an allotment in my area?!?!?!?! It is just as well I have enough garden to grow veggies in
                          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 09-01-2008, 07:00 PM.
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Remind me where you are Shirl so I can Google? I know it's either 'the back of beyond' or 'the land time forgot'...
                            I was feeling part of the scenery
                            I walked right out of the machinery
                            My heart going boom boom boom
                            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
                            I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                              Remind me where you are Shirl so I can Google? I know it's either 'the back of beyond' or 'the land time forgot'...
                              Neither, or maybe both (depending on your view), we are in the land of the early potato - Pembrokeshire. No lotties I can lay hands on - there are some but as far as I can see only a half dozen all well cared for. Got offered one last year but it was a jungle and I decided to excavate the brambles at the back of the garden instead! Otherwise known as the town right between two refineries (or ferries to Ireland). See if you can find me!
                              Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 09-01-2008, 07:14 PM.
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X