Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seed potatoes

hi gang

as usual need some advice on new venture.
    we fancy growing some potatoes this year got my head round the early/second early & maincrop varieties but wanted your advice on prices.
    seed companies seem to be a little more expensive than some high street outlets (i.e. marshalls £6.45 against homebase £3.45 for arran pilot or desiree)
    is there any difference in quality/yields or is it simply a case of the big high street boys selling it cheap. thanks

P.A

I'd check the weight, the ones at double the price may be for 3kg, whereas I'd hazard a guess that the cheaper ones are for 1.5kg. Having said that there does seem to be some variation in prices (though not normally by this much) And, of course, organically raised ones are considerably more expensive. Also, I'd check the quality, sometimes it's false economy to buy the cheapest when for a little more you could have a more reliable crop.
    I would say that £3.50 for 1.5kg is roughly what you should be expecting to pay from most seed companies/garden centres/high st stores
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

cheers bluemoon
      smashin advice, think i will try one cheap pack and one expensive pack and see wot the results are.
      thanks again
      P.A

Comment

I bought mine from Wyevale yesterday. All the bags are 2kg, and range from £3.49 to £3.99 depending on variety.

2kg was enough for around 40-50 PFA's, Charlotte and Pentland Jav, but only about 20 Desiree since they're larger.
        Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
        I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

cheers doc
          kind words to a mere mortal loike me from one so mighty
          p.a

Comment

I usually get mine from the local hardware/garden shop, but they come in large bags. Reasonably priced, but I don't want to put my whole lottie over to one variety of spud. Last year I also bought 10 tubers of Desiree from the pound shop and they were superb. Daughter's been to Wilko today and (I hope) has bought several varieties for us to share.

Comment

I got lots different varieties from Wilko today for £1.50 for ten seeds, but Desiree sold out. Had a quick look on eBay, and they're on there! Cheeky blighters.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                I got lots different varieties from Wilko today for £1.50 for ten seeds, but Desiree sold out. Had a quick look on eBay, and they're on there! Cheeky blighters.
                BTW B&Q are also selling Desiree but they're a little dearer and lighter unless you buy 2 packs for a fiver. Blimey, are the Wilko seed potatoes going fast?
                Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
                  Blimey, are the Wilko seed potatoes going fast?
                  YUP! because they are cheap, in small quantities (10) and have a selection of varieties. I spent £23
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just managed to get the last bag of pink fir apple seed spuds from our Wilkos yesterday for £1.90 for 10 which is plenty for me. Also got a bag of 10 Nicola new potatoes to try. I much prefer to have a couple of different types to try out. LAst year gave away over half my 1.5kg of seed Desiree as couldn't get enough space cleared in time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X