Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion advice please

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie and would appreciate your advice. I seriously under estimated the amount of time digging my new allotment would take(!) and so have not planted the onion sets I bought. The varieties are: Swift, Radar and Red Cross. Should I:
    a. plant them now and hope they do their thing. (Ground is quite wet)
    b. Leave them and plant in March (when it might be drier)
    c. Leave them in the shed until next autumn.

Thanking you in advance!

From the names, I would guess they're supposed to be planted in Autumn. If you leave them in the shed they will rot so you'll get nothing at all from them. If I were you, I would plant them now and see how they go. You can pull them young and use as spring onions, or leave them and see if they mature.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Dibblecat. Not an onion expert but would say to plant them and see what happens.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

If your ground is too wet you can always plant them in pots first and them remove to the soil once your plot is ready...

Momol
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Know your onions.

Put them into those cell trays, they will give you more breathing time before planting, I do this very sucsessfully with my garlic.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I shall definitely try and get some in this weekend and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
              Put them into those cell trays, they will give you more breathing time before planting, I do this very sucsessfully with my garlic.
              Cell trays or pots asap better than wet ground.Take any that are mouldy or not perfect out,and plant out when conditions are dryer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X