No announcement yet.

What's In A Name?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My nick name at school was paddy, so when I joined a forum I decided on nick nack - from the nursery rhyme.... 'This old man .... because paddy wack had already gone.

NN
    If there is no football and gardening in heaven - I'm not going.

Comment

I am known as Woof (or Woofie/Woofster) by my grand-daughter. When she was about six months old I'd have her on my lap and my two dogs would also sit next to me. I would say "woof, woof" to her and she copied me and the name stuck. (I was never keen on Nan, Nanny, Granny, Grandma etc). It seemed like a good name to use on this forum. Otherwise I am Victoria,Vicki, Vic,Vics, Vickers, Ma etc.

Comment

Hmm, mine was simple, my OH had already signed up, choosing Dobby as a name cos he wanted something pagan related and with a bit of fun, so Dobby the house-elf from Harry Potter seemed right to him, and when I signed up (unbeknownst to him) I signed up as Mrs Dobby, as I'm his wife, so wanted to admit the link, plus of course the shock value when he first read a reply floored him, and was good for a right old giggle!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Jardiniere is french for female gardener (i think)
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Oh. I thought it was a plant pot. shows what I know eh?
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Flummery and Jardinière. You are both right.

KK

Comment

Mine comes from a song by a band called Nightwish called "Ever dream of me" :-)

Started using it for the UK fan club forums and it just kinda stuck. Lots of people call me Ed now lol

That band's just not the same since they sacked the original singer.......but that's for a different thread!
                Live for something or die for nothing

Comment

Originally posted by scared55 View Post
                  Flummery and Jardinière. You are both right.

KK
                  Oh. As in female equals receptacle eh? (Must think about that and get out slide rule to work out if I should be annoyed!)

Nice to hear from you again BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    Oh. As in female equals receptacle eh? (Must think about that and get out slide rule to work out if I should be annoyed!)

Nice to hear from you again BTW.
                    As an adjective the word jardinier (feminine form jardinière) means of or pertaining to garden. As a noun it is used in English to mean:
                    1. an ornamental receptacle or stand for holding plants, flowers, etc.
                    2. various vegetables diced and boiled or glazed, used for garnishing meat or poultry.

In French it also has those meanings, but also a person of the garden, or gardener.

Bored yet?

KK

Comment

• Hey Flum, that'll teach you for askin' after him won't it
                      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

• Rooster 'cause I'm the only guy in the house 1 x wifey and 4 x chickens
                        "My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe Seperates Me From You"

Comment

• Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                          Hey Flum, that'll teach you for askin' after him won't it
                          And I got a French/English dictionary for my trouble! Serve me glad!

Comment

• Just thought I'd bump this up to the top again

Comment

• my name is Trish although family called me Trishy which i hated really when i was little but don't mind it now for some reason. My married surname begins with Y so another no imagination it's just my name

Comment

• i would say my name kinda grew on me, but it didn't - just a name that popped into my head!
                                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X