Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Made Wormery?

Hello all,

I've been looking at wormeries on-line and I'm amazed at how expensive they are, does anyone have any ideas of how to make a home made version and what breed of worms to buy?

I have 3 plastic boxes we used to use for recycling that I thought might be useful

Thanks, Ian
    Last edited by Rooster; 05-02-2008, 06:00 PM. Reason: addition
    "My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe Seperates Me From You"

Hi Ian and welcome to the vine,
    Who yes expensive, would be good to make your own. Very interesting to know myself.
    I’m sure someone on the vine will have some tips & ideas for you soon.
    "Sorry I’m not any help"
    Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Try this:

The Accidental Smallholder: Composting Archives
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

A plasic dustbin or similar with holes drilled underneath to drain into a very large litter tray.
        Start with paper or thin board(soaked) and then start putting in food waste(though not citrus fruits,curry,vinegary or pickley things) and away you go.
        Worms can be got by buying a bag or so of well rotted horse manure and introducing the little red worms therein.
        Any problems,I have worms spilling over in my wormery and will send some to you.
        Kept warm they will reproduce rapidly and eat all you can give them.

Comment

Hi, try this link
          Cheap and Easy Worm Bin!

Comment

They made a wormery very easily on the last Dick Strawbridge programme. Some students wanted something cheap and cheerful but I can't remember the details. They had an initial problem with worms escaping through gaps but managed to sort that somehow. I have a Can of Worms which wasn't cheap but was a present so good for me and at least you don't need to pay out for anything after the initial purchase (mine came with a moisture mat which the worms ate imediately but I've never replaced and it doesn't seem to matter)!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

There's more info about wormeries here
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...mery_3007.html and I still have the file that vanished from the trouble at mill site if you're interested

Comment

Originally posted by cortina1498 View Post
                Hi, try this link
                Cheap and Easy Worm Bin!
                that's a great link, I was thinking doing that but knowing someone else has done it before gives the last kick needed to go for it !
                thanks

Comment

Hi FoxHillGardener - would be most interested to view the file that vanished from the trouble at mill site. I've been to the garden centre and looked on line and looking at making myself a wormery - thanks

Comment

I was given an empty wormery a year ago and although i know what to feed them on, I dont know anything about the worms or starting them off. Can you include garden earthworms? My old muckheap has been taken away by the farmer boo hoo but with 1 horse and 1 pony the pile will soon grow again yippee. Will have to go and have a look and see whats there. Have used horse wormers (in old heap) but have decided to go on virbac now though. I am completely organic at home. Would it affect the worms (or my soil?)

Comment

Originally posted by Solebay Diamond View Post
                      I was given an empty wormery a year ago and although i know what to feed them on, I dont know anything about the worms or starting them off. Can you include garden earthworms?
                      No, in a word.
                      Composting worms are called tiger worms, or brandling worms (Eisenia fetida is their Latin name) - you can buy them from angling bait shops.
                      If you put carpet on your compost heap, you'll often find loads of them underneath it, or in the top of a Dalek.
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 27-01-2009, 02:37 PM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

diy wormery

Have been looking myself and found this http://www.rother.gov.uk/media/pdf/p...ng_Wormery.pdf

Gonna give it a go myself
                        Last edited by archerellie3425; 05-02-2009, 09:14 PM.

Comment

That's a really good link, thanks for posting that. Just had a look on Ebay for worms, can get 50 for £1.23 plus £1.99 p&p. Is that a good price?
                          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

They are very expensive aren't they! I made my own and it only cost me a £few.

Not sure if this will be of any use to use, but here is how I made mine:

- Bought 5/6 cat litter trays, costing about 70p each (the bigger the better).
                            - Drilled holes in all but one of them for worms to go up and down.
                            - The one without holes was used as the bottom tray to collect the "worm wee".
                            - Then placed the next one on top and placed lots of grit in it to allow worms wee through but not the worms.
                            - The next three trays were simply used like normal wormery trays.

Is working really well and the worms seem to love it.

Good luck making your own.

Steven
                            http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X