Broad beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad beans

Am I too late to plant my broad beans? I have Aquadulce Claudia and the ones from HSL - Martock.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
    Am I too late to plant my broad beans? I have Aquadulce Claudia and the ones from HSL - Martock.
    You'll be fine, HW - Hessayon Veg Expert reckons that March and April are the main sowing months, and although Aquadulce is bill as a hardy one that you can sow in autumn, it's not compulsary!

Comment

Broad beans can be sown from now until June.

Comment

ive got vectra from johnsons - packet says sow feb-may
        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

My Witkem Vroma will be sown mid March with a handfull being sown in May for a later crop. All will be started off in pots.

Comment

I've sown the sutton in autumn, nice little plants now - but my main sowing (of same) will be next month. Bang 'em in lad!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I didn't plant until nearly the end of March last year (my first year on the plot), I grew the Sutton and they did really well, so you are not too late at all.

Comment

Mine don't get sown until mid April and only go into the tunnel at the end of May. I am still harvesting broad beans in late summer!
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

We've got the first sowing in, after planting in the greenhouse they've just been transplanted out, but the main sowings will be next month and in April, that way we should get some nice successional crops! We're growing Aquadulce and Sutton!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I put some in in December and have started the succession seeding just this week. Another lot in March and another in April - HeyWayne, time to go for it I think.
                    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I sowed some Super Aquedulce in the autumn, they are now calf-height (leg, not cow) and starting to flower
                      I have sowed all my others (Witkiem, Sutton, Red Epicure) in pots in the greenhouse, for planting out late March.
                      I have found that older plants are tougher and succumb much less to blackfly. The drawback is getting them through the winter.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                        We've got the first sowing in, after planting in the greenhouse they've just been transplanted out,
                        Isnt it too cold to plant baby broadies out yet? I have some indoors in pots and thought I should wait another few weeks before putting them out?
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

They are pretty tough - if they are the right type, that is.

They still need hardening off, mind you, and don't plant when it's sub-zero!

Comment

I am growing a variety called Witkiem Manita which was quite outstanding for me last year - so much so that this year I am growing 3 times more of them. I will just plant the seed into prepared ground - last year I didn't direct sow them until April 14th, but they'll go in a couple of weeks earlier this year.
                            Before you get flustered about dates, I'm in the Highlands and things are done usually two weeks to a month later up here than down south
                            Rat

British by birth
                            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X