Carrots advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots advice please

I'm going to try growing carrots in tubs this year and I had the idea that if I raise the tubs on bricks and cover in fleece, this should ward off the carrot fly.

Then someone said that marigolds and chives are good for doing this too...so...

Seeing as you can't get marigolds yet, should I plant some marigold seeds somewhere nearby and would this work just as well as just fleece and raising the tubs? Or should I wait and buy some marigolds a bit later on?

TIA

Ed
    Live for something or die for nothing

I wouldn't worry too much about the marigolds yet. The carrot fly shouldn't be active yet...?! Also they are attracted by the smell of crushed foliage, which you get when thinning the carrots, but if you're sowing in a container you should be able to space the seeds out so not need to thin? I would settle for raising the containers & the fleece cover for now. Later sowings might benefit from the companion planting?

Comment

Try both - belt and braces?!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Marigolds really work. Start sowing now

Comment

If the top of your container is high enough, carrot fly should not pose a problem. If it is within striking height, just make a fleece cover for it.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for that guys n gals...just one more stupid question.....

How high should I raise the containers? 1 foot is reinging a bell with me for some reason....
            Live for something or die for nothing

Comment

carrot fly carnt fly much higher than 2ft i grow mine in a water tank full of compost best carrots ever no fly dammage

Comment

Sorry to throw this in people, but Bristol University (I think) did a study of carrot fly in 2003 and found them over wintering in a tree 60 feet off the ground. It is quite possible that they landed at the base of the trunk and walked up, but...........
                http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

i remeber reading dont plant carots next to tall plants
                  as the carrot fly can use them to jump over youre protection

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i seem to recall that they skim along the ground no higher than 18" high sniffing out their favourite morsel.
                    "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

That's the theory, but they managed to devour all my carrots in the courtyard; called the courtyard as it is enclosed on 3 sides by 6ft walls and on the other by my house.

So, I now don't believe the theory!!!

Comment

Marigolds worked for me last year, but also I think I may have been lucky with my early sowings being ready before carrot fly was around. I'll be sowing marigold next to my carrots in a couple of weeks for sure.
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Almost a duplicate post from anothe thread, but I must admit I've never had much luck with companion planting stopping carrot fly either.

Last year I put my early Nantes under the fleece-covered frame shown in this piccy and it did the trick - no carrot fly at all!
                          Attached Files
                          Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
                          I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Last year I planted my carrots in tubs and put the tubs on a bench so in total about 2ft off the ground, didnt bother with fleece or companion planting and the carrots turned out fine.
                            THE MORE MUSHY YOU ARE THE MORE THEY LOVE YOU

Comment

I'm trying them in a fish box this year. I may not be able to raise it much but I can certainly fleece it over.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X