No announcement yet.

Carrots advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only had one incidence of fly attack in eight years of growing carrots in pots - and ironically it was when I tried growing spring onions in the pot with them!!! It was just one pot and most roots were ok.

Other than that strange anomaly, I am carrot-fly free, apparently. I don't cover the pots with fleece - I found that it raised the temperature and made the foliage grow mad, somewhat at the expense of the roots. I know sow very thinly and just leave well alone. Avoid touching the foliage, water lightly and keep your fingers' crossed.

Comment

I used enviromesh last year, in fact it's still on the carrot bed and I'm still regularily cropping good clean carrots with no hint of carrot fly damage!

I tried fleece draped over the top with bricks along the edge but the carrots first of all grew pushing the fleece up as they went and eventually the presssure split the fleece along the middle! Then the dreaded carrot fly noshed all the carrots!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

when you guys say marigolds you do mean proper pot marigolds dont you not those awful little things that the slugs eat?
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

I planted my first tub today - 3 rows sowed very thinly (I think!) then popped it on a spare stand I had lying around so it's nearly 2' off the ground. I've also covered it with fleece which I'll raise with old coathangers as the foliage grows!

I've also sowed some marigold seeds and put pots of chives and garlic nearby.

Fingers crossed!
          Live for something or die for nothing

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X