Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to grow in pots?

Hello!

I am just starting out with planting a few veg in some lovely raised beds in our garden. Unfortunately, I have got a bit carried away and want to grow a lot more things than I think I will have room for in the beds. But down each side of the house we have plenty of unused, sheltered sunny space where I was going to stick a few pots and grow tomatoes, courgettes and potatoes. I wondered what else of the things I'm intending to grow might do OK in pots? Or what else could I try?
    So far I've got

Leeks
    onions (red and white)
    garlic
    carrots
    peas
    spring onions
    cabbage
    cauliflower
    sprouts
    sweetcorn
    beetroot
    Last edited by busylizzie; 04-03-2008, 07:28 PM.

Hi and welcome to the vine busylizzie. If you search through the vine there are lots of threads relating to container gardening - try putting container in the search facility.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Dont know if it will help but last year (my 1st year) I grew every thing in containers of all shapes and sizes because we had no raised bed or anything, plus didn't know how addictive it was lol.

Carrots - Beetroot - Cabbages - Onions - Lettuce - Peppers - Tomato - Cauliflower ect.

Although we didn't have a huge crop all grew well and tasted great ...

This year we are more organised with the raised beds built and ready to go .. but I would say go for it as long as you dont sow too many together and water when needed should be no problem ..
      Last edited by gigleypants; 05-03-2008, 08:10 AM.
      THE MORE MUSHY YOU ARE THE MORE THEY LOVE YOU

Comment

I grew alsorts in pots last year - potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, french beans, lettuce, carrots just to name a few, oh and herbs too, and they were all fine, I got lovely tasty crops. Now I'm addicted and have a lottie - so watch out!!
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Great, sounds like anything is fair game then. I like the idea of little cauliflowers in pots.

I think I'll go for anything I have left over once I've sown my beds then, and see how we get on.

Comment

I grow all my veg in pots last year my only real failure was beetroot I think it was because they got waterlogged.
            Tomatoes didn't all ripen too well either so I made lots of chutney instead
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X