potatoes in containers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatoes in containers

has anyone put out tubers into containers yet. my seed potatoes are chitting very well and my rocket is an inch tall.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

I have one charlotte in a bucket in the house, one vales emerald in a bucket outdoors.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Two vales emerald in a plastic box in the unheated greenhouse.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

i'm going to do mine on good friday
        Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

I've got loads more to plant but waiting for better weather. Still waiting for delivery of Golden Wonder and Edzell Blue from T&M - anyone else waiting for spuds from them?
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Is a normal size bucket big enough to put chitted potatoes in, and how many to the bucket? Is there a minimum container size? Do I just start them on a few inches of compost at bottom and keep putting more compost in as the haum grows. If so, when the bucket is full how long to harvest? Sorry I have so many questions, but this will be my first crop and I'm salivating just thinking about them

Comment

Is a normal size bucket big enough to put chitted potatoes in, and how many to the bucket?

Yes, regular size bucket - one spud or maybe 2 if you only want small spuds.

Is there a minimum container size?

I grow in 10 litre flower buckets, would think they are about the smallest for a decent crop.

Do I just start them on a few inches of compost at bottom and keep putting more compost in as the haum grows.

That's about the size of it, give a good handful of pelleted chicken poop, well rotted manure, or potato fertiliser.

If so, when the bucket is full how long to harvest?

That depends on your spuds - there is a table somewhere on the vine that tells you but if I remember right it is around 12 weeks from appearance of shoots to harvest for first earlies and up to 15 or 18 weeks for maincrop.

Sorry I have so many questions, but this will be my first crop and I'm salivating just thinking about them

Hope they grow well for you.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

I planted my Swift at the weekend but I moved the potato bag they're in and put it in the greenhouse when it turned so cold Monday.

Comment

Thanks for the concise reply Shirley. No excuse for failure now!

Comment

Originally posted by gemlady View Post
                    Thanks for the concise reply Shirley. No excuse for failure now!
                    Just watch out for blight - that's the only thing that will stop them other than lack of water. Check the soil moisture every day or two as even in rainy weather the leaves can keep the water from the soil (if that makes sense)
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

I have had ten tubs planted up for over two weeks, they are nice and warm under all that compost, as Shirl said plenty of water even if it has been raining and don't forget to feed them as potato's are a hungry plant.

Comment

when and how often do you feed them and with what

Comment

You could either use good well rotted compost from your dalek/compost heap or well rotted farmyard manure in the tubs or potato fertilizer/growmore then when the leaves appear feed once a week with a potash feed/comfrey.

Comment

would diluted bokashi juice be any good. or i have blood fish and bone
                            Last edited by hawthorns; 07-03-2008, 06:54 AM.

Comment

I have an unchitted Pentland Firth in a bucket on the back step, although I brought it in when there was frost earlier in the week. I planted it as an experiment last week, 26th Feb to compare its growth with the ones I am chitting in the house. Those will go out in about two weeks time.
                              si'sraisedbed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X