wood ash

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood ash

hi all im a total new shoot so could do with your advice about wood ash.we have a wood burner hence lots of wood ash i was wondering if it would be of any use on the allotment.could i put it in the compost?

Hi megan and welcome to the vine!

Wood ash can be used instead of lime on acidic soils and because home made compost is acidic by nature sweetening it with wood ash would be appropriate. It could also be used on the brassica patch for its alkaline properties but is useful spread around fruit bushes for it usually has an NPK of 0-1-3 which provides a bit of Pottasium and a very small amount of phosphates, both of which the fruit bushes will benefit from!

Sadly I can only use my wood ash on my paths as I burn scrap wood with nails in it, chipboard, some hardwood logs, but basically anything I can get a hold of for free!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i think there are a number of threads on this if you use the search facility.....i have a wood burner too and more ash than you can shake a stick at....not that you would.....i put it on the garden, in the garden, around the fruit bushes, in the compost heap, on the river bank,
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

thanks for the super quick replies.it will be comeing lottie with me tomorrow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X