Planning palava

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning palava

I want to be largely self sufficient this year. I have 3 hungry children and a starving husband to feed. I have a prepared plot of 48'x16', I had thought of splitting it into 6 3'x15' plots with paths between but am not entirely sure of the crop rotation and yields from this size. I had thought,
    1 - new potatoes
    2 - beans and peas (first 1/2 row of peas in already)
    3 - broccoli, cauli,cabbage
    4 - toms, peppers, aubergines
    5 - carrots, parsnips, leeks
    6 - cue and courgette.

Although now I am tempted to treat the whole thing as one bed and (maybe)get a bit more from it (?) I have another bed 12'x12' for my maincrop spuds, a 5'x5' with onions and a burgeoning fruit cage 12'x6'. I could enlarge the onion bed for maincrop spuds next year - would that work??
    Bearing in mind that we get through alot of veg - (I read another thread where someone thought that 2 broccoli plants would be enough for a family - not mine, more like 2 meals) am I on the right track????!!!! any suggestions or advice from the 'old hands' please...
    p.s. If I manure the new spud bed after harvesting would I be able to put in another late spud crop.....
    Tx

hi all sounds OK as far as the spuds i was going to say only if you live in jersey but your even further south try calabrese instead of broccoli and about ten plants at a time for your family /tip/if you plant onions in September over winter you will get early harvest dig your ground straight away and then plant your calabrese and as soon as they finish plant broad beans /peas try to find ways to carry one veg after another and you will find that you will have good use of your plot all the time and few gaps as for paths if you lay wooden boards on the ground or sleepers if you want to move them you can

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X