aagh! lanky seedlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aagh! lanky seedlings

I converted my guest room into a nursery of the little green variety.
    It is now full of leggy seedlings mainly the brassica family which are the lanky ones, these I replanted up to the leaves which has helped but they're now reaching for the stars again?
    The coriander, parsley and spinach are also getting leggy!
    Any ideas on what to do about this?
    I'll have my new greenhouse assembled this weekend Can I transfer my seedling into there, bearing in mind there is no heating at the minute?
    All the best
    Kalee Melong

Hi and welcome to the vine.

I would think they would be quite happy in the greenhouse, I sowed some calabrese when I was sowing sweet peas. All germinated in the house then were put into the cold but frost-free greenhouse and they are developing into nice sturdy plants. If you are not going to heat your greenhouse in any way, maybe bring the seedlings into the house overnight until the danger of frost is past.
    Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 08-03-2008, 10:58 AM.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I agree with Shirl, the house is never the best place for seedlings due to too much heat and not enough light, a sure fire recipe for legginess. Popping them in the greenhouse will certainly slow them down. If they're too leggy though I'd simply sow again as it's rare to get decent, sturdy plants once they're too far gone.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Brassicas don't really need it warm for germination. You can sow them outside now so if you have a greenhouse I'd put them straight in there. They'll germinate ok though maybe not so fast but they will be shorter and stronger.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

All my seeds are sown in the greenhouse with no heating and all doing very well, my brassicas are all well and was planted at end of Jan as an experiment
          Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

I have happy broccoli, cabbage and cauli seedlings in my unheated greenhouse, although I was wondering when would be safe to plant outside??
            Tx

Comment

You need to do some research about the climate of the area you are in, and harden off the seedling gradually.

They won't thank you if you put them in the ground and it then snows, but they can take some cold if you have prepared them for it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. The greenhouse frame is now up with the glass going in tomorrow, so I'll get them in there as soon as possible. Thanks for the warning about the frost, I'll keep my eyes on the weather forecast!
                All the best
                Kalee Melong

Comment

Watch the high winds tomorrow.

Greenhouse on one of the plots in Barwell lost a number of pieces of glass today.

Goodluck!

Comment

Like you I started some seedlings (herbs and flowers) off in a bedroom in February and they grew to be quite lanky. My first year of owning a greenhouse and got some heating a couple of weeks ago and put them in. So far (fingers crossed) they seem to be OK although not convinced the Coriander will make it. I just love going in there every day to see how they are

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X