Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• toms and peps

hello there

i was wondering when the best time to put my tomatoes and peppers out in to the "wild" lol as the toms are now a good 6 inches tall with about 5 leaves each and the peppers are about 4 inches with 3rd and 4th leaves sprouting is it still too cold and shall i wait till say april?

many thanks
    Jamie

Do you mean outdoors or in a greenhouse? If greenhouse they should be fine if your 'house is frost-free or you can cover with fleece if a frost is due. If outdoors then I would say it is a bit early yet. Maybe put them out in a sheltered spot for a few hours a day to start the hardening off process.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

It really depends on when your last date for frost usually is. Here in Yorks it's generally Mid-may. I don't put mine outdoors till June and even the ones staying in thegreenhouse don't stay overnight (i.s. get planted) until early May. Some parts of the country are much milder - where are you? - that will give us a better idea.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi JG
        I wouldn't risk putting them into the garden just yet ... east coast here and the weather is cold windy and wet looks like gales to hit all the UK over the next few days .. the green house should be fine as long as like shirl says if it's not heated and a frost is due cover them up ... if it help my peppers went out July last year with the toms a little befor
        THE MORE MUSHY YOU ARE THE MORE THEY LOVE YOU

Comment

Where are you then jglad - edit your User CP (top left) and let us know. You could do a half-way house as many of us seem to do. Take them down into an unheated greenhouse during the day and back into the house in the cold evenings.
          If you haven't a greenhouse/tunnel then its way too early to plant them out.
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 10-03-2008, 08:39 AM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Usually plant mine out in an unheated greenhouse in May but they're out there hardening off a bit from the house before then. Think I planted some outside towards the end of May last year also.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

i live in norwich and unfortunately i don't have a greenhouse i have an unheated shed but obviously that'll be ice cold at this time of the year! so i think i'll have to just wait till it warms up a fair bit before i unleash them on my garden!

many thanks
              Jamie

Comment

i am in suffolk and they grow lovely on my window sill(south facing). i leave half on there then about may time they go outside and i have had chery toms up till the middle of novrmber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X