my potatoes have gone funny

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my potatoes have gone funny

I was going to plant my chitting pots this weekend (except I couldn't as have a chest infection and get told off the minute I step outside by OH) and they have gone a bit funny. They are earlies and have been in the garage in a box since early feb(ish). The sprouting bits of leaves seem to be going black. Can I save them? Can I still plant them? What have I done wrong? They certainly don't look like pics of healthy chitted potatoes!

Any advice please, thanks

janeyo

Are you sure they are black not dark green? Can you post a pic?
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I will go and take a pic but will have to get OH to post it as am rubbish!
      janeyo

Comment

Black means they have been frosted and are rotting as a result.

Dark green/ purple shoots with little leaves are good and all is well.

Comment

Right well I have got pics but OH not here to post them. I will try and explain what they look like. Each one has about 5 shoots on. I took them outside to get a good look and even my 3 yr old reckons they are green and not black.

They are very dark green on the outside and pale green on the inside, but the shoots haven't grown any since I put them in there! Thought they were meant to get long? The actual potatoes are starting to be a bit shivelly-uppy too.

Does this mean they are ok? Can I plant them soon? Or where do I put them to get long bits? Or are they doomed?

Janeyo

Comment

They shouldn't get long. Short and dark are ideal. Long shoots will just break off when you plant them. They don't want to be in the dark - maybe your garage is lighter than ours? If they get frost (our garage isn't frost proof either) they will go black and eventually the tuber will go black too (and mushy) and you don't want that! I'd bang em in asap.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

They sound good to me janeyo. As Flummery says, you don't want long spindly shoots as they break when you put soil over them and don't have any strength to push up to the surface.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Thanks, well the bed's all ready so as soon as this nasty chest infection clears up (grrrr been housebound for DAYS feels like) I shall be out there planting them.
                Pots have been in the garage in a box (it's cold but not frosty) under the window. First time trying it (first time trying anything so all new and exciting) so maybe next year I will experiment with other places!

Thanks again, nice to know I haven't killed them yet!

janeyo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X