No announcement yet.

Complete Virgin....Leicester

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's brilliant, thanks a lot for that smallblueplanet. So thats' going to be spuds for me (within the next week or so) and then onions and peas. In the meantime, I'll kick start the Aubs in the conservatory.

S

Comment

just to update you...I've picked up some some puds. A set of 2nd earlies (Estima) and a maincrop (Cara). I thought I was picking up some 1st earlies when i picked up the Estima, but they were in the wrong section, so i ended up with them. Might go and pick up some 1st's later this week.

Also got some Shallots and some Strutgater (???) Onions.

And...I got three pots of Aubergines. Really excited about those so might pick a few more up. Smallblueplanet...will they ever go outside or do i keep them indoors forever?

And finally, some tomatoes. A pot each of moneymmakers, gardeners delight and Sun Baby. in this respect, can someone help me with the 'pinching out' lark please? What, how and where and when do i do this? What happens if I don't do it?

Many thanks..

syanide.

Comment

Originally posted by syanide
        ...And...I got three pots of Aubergines. Really excited about those so might pick a few more up. Smallblueplanet...will they ever go outside or do i keep them indoors forever?

And finally, some tomatoes. A pot each of moneymmakers, gardeners delight and Sun Baby. in this respect, can someone help me with the 'pinching out' lark please? What, how and where and when do i do this? What happens if I don't do it?

Many thanks..

syanide.
        What variety are they? If they're 3 the same, then why not do a comparison, a couple in your conservatory and 1 outside?

Re: 'pinching out' toms. There are (mainly) two types of toms indeterminate/cordon and determinate/bush.

Side shoots from indeterminate (cordon) varieties are pinched out. Not everyone does though.

How to prune your tomato plants with pictures.

Click on the drawing of the tomato plant and it loads a picture showing a photo of side-shoots.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Good point...All three are the same. i'll put two outside and keep one indoors and slowly 'pot on' as they grow.

As for the toms...two of them are about 2" tall and the other one is 3-4" tall. My concern is that I'm trying too early as the pictures all show much bigger tom plants. Assuming they are the cordon variety (I'll check) should i wait to pich out or is it a case of it's never too early?

Cheers. Got my keys on sunday, but it had snowed so couldn't do much. Hopefully get over there today to start playing...

s

Comment

I'd have thought its a case of not doing it won't hurt! Leave them to grow I say. Also you can grow on the side shoots or big side stems that you take off the main plant if you're short of toms!

Seriously, if your aubs are of the 'normal' big purple ones I'd try 2 inside - they prefer temps around 30C and really not below about 20C!

Growing aubergines

Aubergine Basics
            ENVIRONMENTAL PREFERENCES
            LIGHT LEVELS: Sunny.
            SOIL: Well-drained, high organic matter.
            FERTILITY: Rich.
            pH LEVEL: 5.5 to 7.0
            TEMPERATURE: Warm 21°C to 30°C (70°F to 85°F).
            MOISTURE: Average.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 07-04-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Ok, advice gratefully received, thanks.

Syanide

Comment

Originally posted by syanide
                Ok, advice gratefully received, thanks.

Syanide
                Didn't mean to badger, its just they can be difficult to get to fruit, especially without the warmth they need.

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong, i didn't think you were badgering me and there was no sarcasm in my reply; I was and am genuinely grateful. things that are fairly obvious to the more experienced are not so obvious to us 'seedlings' - so please don't ever think you're telling us too much or being patronising.

:-)

syanide

Comment

Right. Went to the plot yesterday and today and am starting to feel down....:-(

I was under the impression that all that i needed to do was to 'pick out' some of the weeds and I'll be ready to grow...However, the weeding is taking FOREVER and the more i dig, the more cr4p i seem to dig up (roots, remnants of last person's crops etc) and I'm confused as to whether I'm doing the right thing or not.

And aged old Italian there told me today that all I need to do (as the plot has been Rotavated about 6 weeks ago) is turn the ground over and not to worry about picking out the roots/weeds as they'll look after themselves once they're turned on their heads..

Can someone please help me?? Maybe I just don't know how to weed....actually i dont!!

(ps, the plots about 25x9)

Thanks

Syanide

Comment

Post your question on weeding on the allotments section syanide, more people will see it there.

Comment

have done that now, thanks.

syanide

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X