Growing lettuce

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing lettuce

Can lettuce be grown in lower pots, or do they have to go in the ground?
    James the novice

Do you mean tower pots, workhorse? If so then no not really. You can grow them in growbags or troughs, but they need coolish conditions and enough moisture at the roots. Tower pots don't really provide the right conditions.

Comment

Sorry, I meant Flower pots.
      James the novice

Comment

I grew lettuce last year, the small little gem type, 4 to a 12" pot. Rather than cutting the whole lettuce though, I'd just take the leaves I needed, although they did heart up OK. We kept going with lettuce the whole season, and I've got some going in pots in the greenhouse already. I used the compost a couple of times, but did water with some liquid feed sometimes.
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Last year I grew my 'cut and come again lettuce' in those plastic window boxes/troughs. I got quite a few of them in each.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Yes, lettuce can grow very well in pots if you give it adequate space.

I grow all my lettuce - looseleaf for cutting as it grows, and heading lettuce - in pots.

About 8 to 10 litre containers (for one plant) seem to work best. Remember that a plastic pot exposed to the sun will get very hot and there is more of a risk of bolting that of lettuces in the ground. Keep them cool and moist during hot spells and they should be fine.

It's a great way of growing successional lettuce throughout the year, too.
            Last edited by Cutecumber; 03-04-2008, 08:21 AM.

Comment

The good thing about growing in pots are, when it is too hot you can move them to a shadier spot (and vice versa) plus being above ground, it is slightly saver from the slugs attact compare to the ground grown lettuce (but some slugs are more determine!).
              Good luck .
              I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Oh goody, more things grow.

I really only started with a greenhouse this season, and I'm hooked. I have Toms and flowers growing in abundance. Having a bit of a problem with Cue's though. Get to around 3" in height, and they just keel over. The stem seems to darken just about soil level, so I'm doing something wrong.
                James the novice

Comment

Having a bit of a problem with Cue's though. Get to around 3" in height, and they just keel over. The stem seems to darken just about soil level, so I'm doing something wrong.
                  I am far from an expert but; it sounds like damping off to me. Are you being over generous with the water?
                  Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Quite possibly - I will have to be more careful.
                    James the novice

Comment

Originally posted by workhorse View Post
                      Oh goody, more things grow.

I really only started with a greenhouse this season, and I'm hooked. I have Toms and flowers growing in abundance. Having a bit of a problem with Cue's though. Get to around 3" in height, and they just keel over. The stem seems to darken just about soil level, so I'm doing something wrong.
                      My greenhouse sounds like yours, my first one too and was so excited planted lots of things too early then panicked, but all seems OK so far. Have still got loads I want to sow but no room now. Think by next year I'll have calmed down a bit and be a bit more selective, perhaps

Comment

Bet you won't calm down Gemlady.
                        Its this thing about growing things from seeds that's gets to you. Well it does to me anyway.

Its all about looking for the first tip pushing through, and seeing your babies maturing. Wonderful.
                        James the novice

Comment

can i grow lettuce in a grow bag in a cold frame!
                          waht would you all reccomend as they will only be me and my partner to feed
                          joanne geldard

Comment

Joanne - yes, no problem.

I like Little Gem and Tom Thumb - they are small but great tasting and grow quickly. Aim for about 6 inches between plants to give them room to grow properly. You can get quite a few in a growbag. Keep them cool and the compost moist, but not soaking wet.

Don't sow the whole growbag at once because you will end up with a dozen (or whatever) lettuces all at the same time. Make three or four sowings, a fortnight apart, each aiming to give you about four plants, say. Sow two or three seeds where you want one plant, thinning down to one seedling if they all come up.

I reckon you could get 2 or 3 lettuces across the bag and maybe 5 or 6 along it - mark where you want them to go on the bag or the compost before you start so you can see if they've got enough room. Just plan ahead, really.

Comment

thanks for the tip
                              joanne x
                              joanne geldard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X