Help! How many seeds to sow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! How many seeds to sow?

This may be a daft question that depends on what you are trying to grow but I can't seem to get my head around it!

As I'm still a newbie to growing veg I've recently been buying the propagator kits that come with a small propagator, the soil in a bag and a packet of seeds. I started with the beetroot but it wasn't clear in the instructions if I should sow all the seeds they supply or only some. I decided it looked like far too many seeds so I just done a few but after they all shot up I wasn't sure if I should have done some more. On the other hand I got a pepper kit and went for it and done the whole packet but they died as so many of them shot up!

How do I know how many seeds I should sow? Or does it all depend on what veg it is? On all my other seeds it says 'sow thinly' but I still cant get that right I'm close to giving up!

Large seeds like beetroot (which are actually a small cluster of seeds) I sow one per cell in a cell tray which holds 20 plants. Depends how many you need eventually, really. Most seem to germinate and grow OK with the extra spacing. Also beetroot don't like being moved too much, at least with the cell trays you just pop the whole thing out and plant in the ground. My peppers and tomatoes I sow around 10 seeds in a 3 and a half inch pot and then transplant them into cell trays. The kits seem like a good idea, but you usually get far too many seeds and far too small a pot.

Comment

Thanks for that, it sounds like I've probably got it just about right with my beetroot which is good to know

Comment

When I got a propogator last year I made a HUGE mistake. I put soil in the tray and just sowed the seeds in that. Don't laugh everyone! I couldn't understand why there weren't drainage holes in the bottom......of course I worked out afterwards that you're meant to sow the seeds in pots or plastic modules and stand THOSE in the tray with lid on!

Tons of stuff came up - rocket, kohl rabi etc., but I had to put it in the compost bin in the end cos the water had gone sour. Doing it right this year!

Fran

Comment

Its easy to get stuff wrong Fran, not everyone is born with green fingers! We tend to sow either one or two seeds per plant wanted. So two tomato or pepper seeds per plant. Beans tend to be one per plant needed. With experience you get to know the germination rate of seeds.

Don't give up though Isla, some things are easier to grow than others, and some easier for other people - we still can't grow beetroot or spring onion, but my aubergines are yummy!
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I have this issue with the little fiddly ones and also because I can't stand waste.

I've been doing most things in cells and for things with tiny seeds putting four or five per cell. Spent an hour this evening thinning out lettuces and other stuff.
            Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Even if you end up with too many you can always sell a few at your doorstep for a few pence or give to family and friends as a growing gift.

Best to have too many than not enough!

I am going to have MASSES of tom plants as last year they all failed dismally so this year I extra sowed and they are all doing really well.

janeyo

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                I am going to have MASSES of tom plants as last year they all failed dismally so this year I extra sowed and they are all doing really well.
                Same here - I sowed a dozen each of 4 different varieties and have had a 75-100% germination rate with each, so a lot more seedlings than I have space for. I'll be selling the excess for pennies, to cover the cost of pots and compost

Comment

Originally posted by Isla View Post
                  How do I know how many seeds I should sow? Or does it all depend on what veg it is? On all my other seeds it says 'sow thinly' but I still cant get that right I'm close to giving up!
                  Good question. We tend to over sow to cover our back but when germination rate is good, then we have the added stress of deciding what to do with surplus seedlings. It's a common dilemma that even experienced growers undergo. Take my tomato sowing last year, I decided I only wanted 2-3 plants but the germination totally failed first time round. I got so mad and went for over 8 seeds in 2nd attempt and you know the rest.....

In most cases I sow just what I think I need (the amount of veg), I try not to over sow because I don't like wastage (plus seeds may run out quicker) and I don't want to get stressed out with surplus so the emphasis is more on the giving the best sowing conditions for the seeds that I feel confident will work. But knowing how well the seeds will respond takes time through trial and error but you'll find your own best approach.

To over sow or not also depends on the seeds age but I'm finding that even if I over sow on age ground, I find that they can still have 90% germination so it's a good idea to do a pre-germination test (for seed viability) a few weeks before your actual sowing date.

Just go with the flow and you'll get the hang of it but never sow the entire content of the seeds in one go. Some vegetables are meant to be sown successionally (2-3 weeks gaps) to extend the cropping season so sow little but often is another useful point to remember.
                  Food for Free

Comment

surely it is better to over seed really, i mean any excess you can either freeze, pickle, dry, ?!?!?! or is this just because of lack of space to grow the excess, must admit im terrable with waste, even when it comes to pricking out, i just have to try and save that scragely one

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I spent this evening sowing new veg, far less seeds this time so I will see how it goes I've also tried to save the overcrowded ones I had already done so fingers crossed!

Comment

Don't give up! Don't you dare!

I've not been doing this long myself, and I'm pretty sure I'll still be learning 30 years from now. Last weekend I planted two melon seeds in each of my vending cup pots and low and behold, both of them have come up in each. Not a problem I'll just prick out the weakest and hopefully grow some lovely melons from the remaining plants.

Tonight I planted some herb seeds. Thyme, Sage, Oregano and Rosemary. I have never seen smaller seeds. Rosemary I think were the smallest, and I'd wager there are biwyuns in the packet, which in my mind usually means that there's a low germination rate. I think the more seeds they give you, the more difficult they are to germinate. That's my theory anyway.

Good luck, and keep trying, once you see them sprouting, it'll all be worth it.
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Hello i'm new, to this forum and been gardening about a year or so (new house).

I window box grew herbs last year, mainly parsley,basil,corriander which germinated all really easily.

But heywayne, i hope you have more success than me with your rosemary germination. I'd read on the web it was one of the harder/fussier to germinate, and i got 0% germination rate.

Anyway, good to find this place.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne
                            ....I think the more seeds they give you, the more difficult they are to germinate. That's my theory anyway.
                            Good theory I reckon, but don't try it with Welsh poppies!
                            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 09-04-2008, 08:23 PM.
                            To see a world in a grain of sand
                            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X