Compost from pot grown potatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost from pot grown potatoes?

I have been growing some Jersey Royals in big pots, and they look like they may be ready for harvesting in the next couple of weeks.

Can I re-use the compost? if so - in other pots, or to dig into garden?

thanks
    Julie
    Never say never!

Wow! That's very early, lucky you!

I sometimes re-use my potato compost for lettuces. You'll need to add some additional nutrient like a good balanced fertiliser and maybe mix in some new compost just incase. I wouldn't use it, on the other hand, for brassicas or heavy feeders and not for tomatoes as they can suffer from the same diseases as potatoes.

Otherwise I put it on the garden.

Comment

can you put it the compost bin for the year with all other stuff (weeds, veg tops, ect) and will the diseases (if any) still be present?

Comment

Wow lucky you! Best place to be growing Royal Jersey in Jersey . Guess it's possible to get them harvested that early because it's much warmer down there.
        Last edited by veg4681; 04-04-2008, 11:07 AM.
        Food for Free

Comment

You can put it in the compost bin but you don't need to because it is already compost...

Comment

Thanks Cutecumber

I'm really glad I asked as I had thought I might use the same pots and compost for some tomato plants I have been given, but I'll use them for cut and come again lettuce instead.

Now, what about the compost from the grow bag that the current crop of lettuce is in - what can I do with that?

Julie
            Never say never!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X