Aubergine seedlings shrivelling

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aubergine seedlings shrivelling

Hello. I'm a slightly experienced gardener, but this year I'm growing in a new house and garden. Amazingly this house came with a huge veg patch, a polytunnel and a huge conservatory with nice deep windowsills. I've been sowing seeds for all I'm worth (I find those 18-egg cardboard boxes with rigid plastic lids make ideal unofficial propagators), including aubergines (Black Beauty). They've germinated well (if slowly), but I've noticed some of the seedlings at 2-leaf stage are seeming to shrivel from the tips inwards, shrivelling right down to a tiny thin line of brown leaf. I know aubs like heat, but I wondered if they maybe needed a wee bit of shade? Our conservatory faces south and has no blinds or shading whatsoever so gets ridiculously hot on a sunny day.

Any opinions gratefully received!

Does sound like it's getting a bit hot for them, shading would definitely help. What sort of temperatures does it get up to in the day in your conservatory?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hello MrsHD. Welcome to the Vine and congratulations on finding such a great place for growing. I think you're right about the problems with your aubergines - they're frying. Your conservatory will be fiercely hot and young plants will scorch. Maybe you could move them to a cooler place during the hottest part of the day. Also when your aubergines and peppers start to flower be sure to move them out of direct sun or the flowers will just scorch. Good luck. I'm sure you'll soon work out how that fabulous set up is going to work for you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I believe aubergines like it warm but moist - I did best with mine last year under the staging in the greenhouse where they got all the warmth but no direct sun and I was able to damp down each day and keep the humidity up at that end. They don't really like to bake.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

If you let them dry out the it also causes the symptoms you say ie shriveling from the tips of the leaves.
          Make sure they dont dry out keep them moist (not waterlogged) and they should recover ok if you are worried they are getting too hot tape a sheet of bubble wrap to the window to dissipate the sunlight also they dont need to be under cover now they are growing a cover is only needed during germination.

Cheers Chris

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X