Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fertilisation for the veg plot...

Hi
    I've got to fill up quite a large raised bed I want to fill up, and I don't want to have to buy topsoil as I can't pick it up etc... I've got lots of horse manure, and 'spent' compost, as well as some shakey homemade stuff. How should I mix it? Do I do it before I put it in the bed or layer it up?

Also any ideas anyone has on general fertilisers for veg gardens, flower beds etc I'd be interested, I try and use organic and natural stuff as I have lots of pets... I don't use things like miracle grow - don't really know whats in it...
    Cheers
    Sally

You should be alright chucking in all the good stuffs you've got already and give them a good mix with the spade. The horse mature needs to be well rotted, not too fresh if you're planning on planting soon. Just remember that some vegetables don't need rich soil, mainly root and onion veg family but all others will benefit from horse manure fertilisation.
    Last edited by veg4681; 04-04-2008, 05:54 PM.
    Food for Free

Comment

Yes, keep it away from the bed that you want to grow carrots on.

Comment

For fertiliser, try the Organic Gardening Catalogue - they have all sorts, from seaweed meal to tomato feed
        Last edited by Eyren; 05-04-2008, 06:43 AM.

Comment

You could grow comfrey and nettles to make your own liquid fertiliser, can't get more organic than that.

Collect nettles put in a bucket of water leave to ferment for a few weeks. Drain off the liquid and dilute liquid with fresh water, I think its one part fertilser to 10 part water.

I think you can do the same with comfrey. Its good stuff and its free
          http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X