new gardener with children

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new gardener with children

hi all im new to veg gardening and i am involving my children ..i dont have much space 5 beds approximately 4feetX2 feet..any suggestions of what i should plant to ensure something to keep the kids interested and that we can all eat.

try anything that is fairly quick growing and unusually coloured, our kids last year grew radish, mange tout, carrots (multicoloured ones and some round ones), yellow french beans etc.

this year it's all the above plus multicoloured cauli's (thanks Claire) and red and white onions.

A sunflower competition between them also keeps the interest going and we are attempting the allotment site biggest pumpkin competition, each growing our own entries.
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Comment

Hi there. I think with children its got to be something that will grow quickly so will keep there interest. Most of the seed catalogues this year have had a section with fast growing types and they are usually the baby sized veg like turnip (snowball of tokyo cross), radishes, carrot, srouting seeds like alfalfa and beensprouts which you can do on your windosill and how about baby lettuces leaves they take about 2-3 weeks you can buy mixed seeds packets.
      Im trying Jamie Olivers tip from his program and Im going to get the girls to soow some salads in the shape of their names which will hopefully get them more involved!
      Hope this helps
      Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

You could grow some different kinds of lettuces low down underneath some sweetcorn (most kids love that!), or courgettes, squashes or pumpkins underneath the corn. (I know my 2 year old is fascinated with the courgette forming on the plant still in the pot already and comparing it to the one in the fridge from the shop).

Spring onions, as they are not too strong and fairly quick growing, would also be nice, especially if you can get the ones with red tips.

Comment

This year my kids are growing thier own peas, runner beans and carrots, all in big square tubs.

Last year they grew the same but also radishes and lettuce.

Basically, get your kids to grow what they will eat.

Comment

I'd agree with the peas, they always go down well eaten straight off the plant We're also doing lots of different carrots in pots, the different coloured ones (Rainbow F1, Purple Haze, Red Samurai, Yellowstone) have been the most popular. Also different coloured varieties of French bean like Purple Teepee & Valdor (yellow), Mini Green iceberg lettuce, mini cucumbers in the greenhouse (Superbel from B&Q did well last year) and plenty of srawberry plants
            Last edited by SarzWix; 08-04-2008, 10:31 AM.

Comment

My grand daughter - now 3 - single handedly depleted my peas, (ordinary and mangetout), carrots and strawbs last year. I agree that you should encourage them to grow the things they love to eat. Teacheing them when it's ready to harvest is another matter!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

In lauren b's little bed she has garlic, peas and Parmex carrots. She will probably be on later asking for advice on what to put in the last section. She sowed sweetcorn for me t'other day.
                Kirsty b xx

Comment

Mine have got a little plot each and today have sown some broadbeans and left over onions and have made a tripod to put some climbing beans on when they can go out, we also thought about a courgette each and radishes, totally agree it should be things that they will eat mine were eating runners straight off the plants last year and my daughter has become a salad addict straight from the garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike and Louise View Post
                    Basically, get your kids to grow what they will eat.
                    Is the right answer! It doesn't have to be quick growing - everything takes a long time to grow in childrens eyes. Being able to pick/dig up something they planted AND like to eat is a winning combination.

Mine love helping to plant the seeds (obviously bigger seeds are best) and to water the plants - whether they need it or not
                    http://a-plot-too-far.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X