Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acclimatisation?

My first proper question!

I've just planted some seeds for starting off in our conservatory before planting out. Some of the seeds (e.g. runner beans) say to place in a propagator until after germination which takes 7-10 days. OK - I've got that bit!

Then the packet says to "gradually acclimatise to outdoor conditions for 7-10 days before planting out".

Does this mean that once the seeds have germinated, I remove them from the propagator and let grow until the seedlings are a bit bigger. Once the seedlings are large enough to handle, I'm assuming this is when I start acclimatising them? But how do I do this? Do I just put them outdoors for a few hours a day? Or do I put them out and leave them there but still in the pots?

I'm a bit confused and it's only day 1 of my vegetable growing plan!

Thanks

Getting things used to outside conditions is known as 'hardening off' in the trade. You do this as it says 7/10 days before you set out.(in the case of runners after all danger of frost is gone (mid mayish in kent) In brief it means exactly what you said- grow on in their 3" pots till then when you start to pop them outside during all but the nastiest days, preferably in a sunny but sheltered spot (against a south/west wall maybe) bring them in at night for the first week and then weather permitting leave them out.

A word of warning Runners don't like cold winds. Don't worry you're doing great.

Comment

That's brilliant Thanks so much, Paul. It's nice to know I'm on the right track!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X