Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning my new plots - Total Confusion

Hi,

Can anyone help please? I'm so confused! I used to think of myself as a reasonably intelligent female until I got started onto the subject of crop rotation. Every time I think I've got it sussed, I find another article or post that makes me have to rethink my plan. I know there's loads on here about crop rotation but it's what goes in the groups I'm getting confused with.

All I want is a basic plan of what goes in what bed that I can then use for the following years but numerous bits of paper later (that are now in my compost bin) I've had to admit defeat

Can I make use of all of your wisdom please?

I have 3 beds to use for vegetables and another permanent fruit bed. I will also have a greenhouse for crops

I really need to know what plants need to go together and what plants I can slot in where there's space - I can't figure out where I'm supposed to shove the onions

The only thing in one of the beds at the moment is my first early potatoes. I have chilli plants growing indoors on my windowsills.

These are the plants I want to grow - some are started off and some are ready to be put out - hence the panic!
    1. Sweet Pepper
    2. Melon
    3. Courgette
    4. Aubergine
    5. Florence Fennel
    6. Leeks
    7. Onions
    8. Shallots
    9. Peas
    10. Pumpkin
    11. Carrots
    12. Swiss Chard
    13. Cauliflower
    14. Runner Beans
    15. Sweetcorn
    16. Broad Bean
    17. Calabrese
    18. Brussels sprouts
    19. Purple Sprouting Broccoli
    20. Watermelon
    21. Spinach
    22. Turnip
    23. Parsnip
    24. Cabbage
    25. Beetroot
    26. Cucumber (outdoor)
    27. Celery
    28. Salad Leaves
    29. Radish
    30. Lettuce
    31. Spring Onion
    32. Tomato (Money Maker and Gartenperle)
    33. Savoy
    34. Kidney Bean
    35. Potatoes (first and second earlies)
    36. Cowpeas

Please, please, please, can someone put me out of my misery. I just want to plant a small amount of the above but I don't want to put them in the wrong place. I only moved a month ago and I'm trying to get my veg plots sorted so that I can then spend some time in the house emptying the rest of the boxes - (my veg plot is more important to me! )

Royal Horticultural Society - Gardening Advice: Crop Rotation
    I found this the simplest to understand.
    Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

i have 3 raised beds aswell.
      bed 1 onion family
      spring onions
      garlic
      leeks
      shallots

bed2 roots
      carrots
      beetroot
      parsnips
      radish
      lettuce

bed3 brassicas
      cabbage
      sprouts
      turnips
      swede
      broccoli

i have peas in containers
      beans in wooden troughs
      salad leaves, rocket and spinach in containers
      potato in sacks
      tomato in hanging baskets
      Last edited by hawthorns; 10-04-2008, 07:31 PM.
      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

To quote from "Creating a Kitchen Garden" by Richard Bird

Crop rotation ... (is).. a simple and effective precaution against pests and diseases. The basic idea is that if you grow the same type of plant on the same patch of ground every year, the soil will harbour pests and diseases from one season to the next. If you move the crop to another piece of ground, the pests and diseases will lose their host and will die out.

A three year (four plot) rotation would therefore be....

Plot 1
        Peas, Beans, Onions (inc Leeks), Sweet Corn, Marrows (Squash and Pumkins) and Lettuce.

Plot 2
        Spuds, parsnips, carrots, beetroot, salsify, scorzonera and tomatos - root crops in other words.

Plot 3
        Brassicas - cabbage, Brussles, broccoli, kale, swede, turnip, kohl rabi, radish.

Plot 4
        Permanent crops - rhubarb, asparagus, perennial herbs, artichokes, seakale.

Use the greenhouse for the melons and cucumbers - toms too if there is space and obviously for your seed sowing and bringing seedlings on.

Hope this helps

Terry
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Sweet Pepper - root bed with the toms or greenhouse
          Melon - Greenhouse
          Courgette - plot 1
          Aubergine - root bed with the toms or greenhouse
          Florence Fennel - perennial herb
          Leeks - onion family
          Onions - ditto
          Shallots - ditto
          Peas - plot 1
          Pumpkin - plot 1
          Carrots - root bed (plot 2)
          Swiss Chard - type of beet - root bed
          Cauliflower - brassica
          Runner Beans - plot 1
          Sweetcorn - plot 1
          Broad Bean - plot 1
          Calabrese - brassica
          Brussels sprouts - brassica
          Purple Sprouting Broccoli - guess!
          Watermelon - greenhouse
          Spinach - I usually put it with the lettuce
          Turnip - brassica bed
          Parsnip - root
          Cabbage - brassica
          Beetroot - root
          Cucumber (outdoor) - squash family
          Celery - likes really rich ground so which ever bed you manure.
          Salad Leaves - plot 1
          Radish - brassica! Really!
          Lettuce - plot 1
          Spring Onion - onion family
          Tomato (Money Maker and Gartenperle) - root bed or greenhouse
          Savoy - brassica
          Kidney Bean - plot 1
          Potatoes (first and second earlies) - root bed
          Cowpeas- never heard of them - but... plot 1?

Comment

Ok..... having looked at all them - 16 plot 1's, 8 plot 2's, 8 plot 3's 1 permenant bed and one unknown.

so....... move the onion family to plot 4 to free up space in plot one and trade off with the squash family year on year.

And put the celery where ever there is space just remember where so you can put it somewhere else next year.

Terry

Comment

bear in mind i'm no expert on this ...
              i have a 3 bed rotation system roughly as follows:
              1 - roots (only spuds and carrots - no other root crops i want to plant out)
              2 - peas, beans, "salad" stuff (runners, french, broad beans, peas, lettuce, spinach, spinach beet, some onions, celery)
              3 - brassicas (cauliflower, cabbage broccoli, sprouts)

along one fence i have gooseberry, blackberry, raspberry, loganberry
              along the other fence is rhubarb
              also along the fences i'll be covering the ground and putting out peppers and tomatoes in pots
              i'll have more peppers, tomatoes and hopefully cucumber in the greenhouse

i have another strip of ground for onions - my book says they can be grown in the same ground several years running and don't need to go in rotation system
              i also have long tubs around the gooseberries etc with garlic and spring onion - apparently the garlic keeps bugs off the fruit
              i didn't realise turnip and swede were brassicas until i read this thread!

last year i grew loads of radish, beetroot, sweetcorn etc but we just didn't use it all so not bothering this year
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Now I'm confused. I thought that alliums and legumes weren't supposed to be grown together, but you have them in the same plot. Is it that they are just not supposed to be next to each other? And are there any other bad neighbours I shouls know of please?
                Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Comment

My preferance is to separate them but I have never seen much of a set back in either if grown side by side. I think the alliums are ment to give off some chemical which inhibits the growth of the legumes........

I'm not up on companion planting - alliums are said to be good at detering carrot fly if interplanted with carrots........

Onions are a funny crop, half the books ignore them in the rotation and give them space in the permenant bed the rest seem rather arbitary and it seems to be down to writers choice. I think it is probably safe to say that they can be incuded almost anywhere in the rotation the thing to note is not so much where you grow them as how well they do - if you get an area with bulb or neck rot you must keep all alliums away from that specific piece of ground for years if not decades!

They need feeding - but not too much and water - but not too late in the season. Supposed to be easy but I've rarely found them so.
                  Last edited by TPeers; 12-04-2008, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                    Thanks for all your help........I must admit, it was the onions that were causing me the most confusion....... now to draw up the plan and start planting
                    This year really is going to be a trial for me to see what grows..........the soil is on the clay side which is something I've not worked with before........
                    I'll post some photo's as soon as I've unpacked my camera! lol
                    My OH rang me to say that I've a delivery coming.......he's treated me to a polytunnel so I've got that to put all the tender plants in - once I get it up!

Comment

Nice! Enjoy the planning and the planting.

Comment

Originally posted by sallym View Post
                        Now I'm confused. I thought that alliums and legumes weren't supposed to be grown together, but you have them in the same plot. Is it that they are just not supposed to be next to each other? And are there any other bad neighbours I shouls know of please?
                        I found out after I planted my onions next to my peas that nodules on the roots of legumes contain bacteria that ‘fix’ nitrogen. Onions are antibacterial and shouldn't be planted with legumes. So, I dug up my onions and put them in with the root crops.
                        Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X