Water Butt, rain saver and asbestos roofing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Butt, rain saver and asbestos roofing

Ok, so I have been lucky I was gifted a nice big water butt, stand and rain saver kit to connect to a downpipe! Wooohoo!

Anyhow, my query as intimated in the title;

My brick shed is the most suitable location to plonk down the water butt. The roof of the shed is corrugated asbestos stuff. Is it safe to collect the water that drains off it? Might seem like a silly question, but then that is me all over

Tia

Mr D
    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

The really bad asbestos (if any is less bad) is pink asbestos which was mainly used for insulation. The cement asbestos that roof sheets are made od still need to be disposed of properly but it's the fibres that are the problem. I would think that if its on a shed roof it must be a fair age and as long as its not damaged it should be OK to collect rainwater off.
    Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

Hi MrD

I'm a health and safety rep at work, we are told that any asbestos is dangerous, artex contains small amounts of asbestos, last year I had a leak my kitchen ceiling had to be removed by men in white suits as it contained asbestos.
      I don't think that there is a problem collecting the rain water, but don't disturb it, when asbestos is disturbed it releases the deadly fibres into the air. The fibres can only be seen under a microscope. The disease doesn't kick in for 20/25 years after the fibre is released if you are unlucky to breath it in.

If your unsure what to do, you could ring your local authority for some advice.
      There are three types of asbestos all are dangerous, they are red, blue and white.
      If it ever needs to be removed it has to be done by licenced contactors who are specially trained, most local authorities are the licenced contractor.
      http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Yep, this is why I am being wary.

I might call the council for some advice before I finally position it.

Thank you for your responses!
        Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

We have an asbestos roof on our shed at school.

We have had an emergency inspection, and they have arranged emergency action......more than a year ago!

As has been previously reported, as long as the structure is left alone, all is well it is presumed.

I have screamed and shouted, but no further action is presumed necessary!

What more can I do or say?

MrsB x

Comment

Are you sure it contains asbestos, since the 70's cement board has been abestos free?

Cementacous asbestos is acually quite safe if its in good condition and left alone. The cement holds the fibres in situ, in addition the type of asbestos fibre is quite large which is why its used in this way. It adds strength to the finished board.

If the board is in good condition, either leave it as it is, or alternatively paint it. Rain water collected off it will be fine to use.

Comment

Be careful when seeking professional info from council - we did this once about a possible problem in a caravan and they insisted that we had an inspection from the men in white suits etc, worked out very expensive.
              Just a though - is it possible to run the water through a filter? Maybe something as cheap and easy as an old pair of tights folded to make a lot of layers and then attached to the end of the pipe inside the butt, maybe a rubber band or an wire tie would enough to hold it place.
              Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
              -- Alfred E. Neumann
              http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Its really not a big deal. Sure its your health and we all want to keep safe but as long as you waer a mask and work outside the risk is so low. I wouldn't waste my time asking the council. You should know the stock answer already plus they'll charge you at the recycling centre for handling "toxic waste" or the suitable approprate words. Just don't do drinking the rainwater yourself
                http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Asbestos insitu isn't really a problem, it's the dust when you break it up that causes major health issues. Basically it's fine to collect water from it but if you're concerned that the roof is breaking up then get it checked out.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X