Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouldy plant pots?

Hi everyone

My seeds are propagating nicely and I'm getting very excited to see lots of new shoots appearing every day (my turnip (swede) are doing very well, and my brussels sprouts, beetroot and sweetcorn are not too far behind!)

However, I have planted some of my seeds in these little peat pots ...

... and I notice the pots containing the tomato seeds, which I have covered with a plastic bag as per the propagation instructions, are starting to go a little bit mouldy. There is definite white "fluff" appearing round the edges of the pot

The pots, as I say, are covered, and are currently on a shelving unit in our conservatory. I planted them a week ago.

Any advice?

Peat pots and toilet rolls tend to do this. Increase ventilation and they should be OK.

Comment

Make sure you're not watering them too much. I use the toilet roll holders for sowing peas. Sometimes they go like yours but it does'nt seem to affect the plants.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=bramble;209248]Make sure you're not watering them too much./QUOTE]

The instructions on my peat pots say that you're supposed to keep them damp to make it easier for the roots to penetrate through them, but this seemed to make mine mouldy too
        pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll try and increase the ventilation a little bit and keep an eye on them. I've also moved them to a sunnier spot to see if that will help.

Thanks so much for the advice. I really appreciate it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X