Where do I start?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I start?

I'm sure I posted on this last year but it all went wrong so I'm trying again!

The garden is a mess. I really wanted to grow some veg this year but I don't think it's going to happen because of the garden. We did hope to sort it last year but with a new baby that just didn't happen.

So my main question is where do I start! I suppose I should take proper measurements of the garden and then plan it all. However what do I do with the plants that are already in there, how on earth do I get rid of the brambles, couch grass and other weeds without it all growing back within a couple of weeks, how do I move the pond as we have loads of frogs in it but it's a small basin thing right in the middle of the garden etc etc etc.

I'm feeling a bit despondent about it all really I was desperate for a garden to grow things in and for the children to play in and in reality it's ended up as an overgrown mess that the dog poos in (she refuses to go on walks) but then I struggle to clear up after her as it's so overgrown! Would be so much easier to get a digger in, completely clear the site and start from scratch but firstly we wouldn't be able to get one in anyway and secondly we can't afford it!

So any pointers, encouragement etc most welcome!
    Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

A bit at a time Rachel. Get some sticks and string, mark out an area of 4 ft by say, 8 ft or 10 ft. That will make one growing bed. Depending on the level of weed infestation you should be able to clear that in a couple of sessions. They rake it from all directions. Rake in a handful of blood fish and bone meal per yard length of the bed, then off you go. Start something easy to encourage you. Maybe some beans in pots - dwarf french for example. The when you come to plant them out after the last frost (this give you time to prepare the bed) you can see where they are - no waiting for things to peep up through the soil. You could try some courgettes too. The same applies about frost though. Don't look at the whole things and be despondent. Do a bit, look at what you've done then congratulate yourself!

Good luck chuck!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I agree with Flummery do a section at a time. Are you against the use of weed killer? I know some are but if you're not then get as large a bottle as possible. Something like Roundup. ( I think that's what it's called). It'll be good for getting control of those brambles. etc.

Also try and get everything cut back or down as low as possible and take it all to the tip - that makes everything look tidier right from the start.

Comment

I know how you feel, Gryfon - my lottie is constantly being reinvaded by couch grass

I would recommend getting a load of weed-suppressing sheeting - basically perforated plastic of some kind. If your budget's tight, you can get some cheap stuff from Tesco or Sainsburys at the moment (or probably most supermarkets) - I got a 10m x 1.5m sheet for two quid

Clear it a bit at a time, as Flummery says, then put the sheeting down on the area (pinned down with half bricks or whatever comes to hand) so that the weeds don't spring up the minute your back's turned! You can plant larger crops like courgette, bean and brassica plants (grown in modules) by cutting smallish crosses in the sheeting and carefully peeling the corners back, then folding them back and weighting the flaps with stones. Leave the ground cover down for a year, and next year it'll be much easier to dig over.

If you can get hold of some well-rotted manure, that makes another great ground cover, especially over winter. On my allotment I've noticed that, where I just dumped a thick layer of manure on roughly turned ground, the couch grass is looking decidedly ill and is much easier to dig up

Hope this helps!

Comment

I agree with all the good advice given. We worked wonders on our massive veg patch with black plastic sheeting. Looked a bit hideous for a year but now it's amazing, and as the others say, you can still grow something nice and big like courgettes through it, so you get some veg this year.
          I also reccomend having a massive bramble bonfire, it's amazing how much you can clear while having a nice time, and the ash will be much more beneficial than the brambles. A bonfire wil totally clear the area below it as well so maybe a campain of small fires to help you find some of your earth!
          As a detester of chemical gardening I would personally say that using weekkiller will be ubhealthy for your ground, that is of course only my opinion. I read in a Bob Flowerdew book that you can use a blow torch to kill nettes etc, I haven't tried this, but at the risk of starting to sound like a pyro, it sounds kind of fun!!!
          I don't know what to suggest about your pond, I guess you shold wait until the tadpoles have grown up,then you'll just have to grit your teeth and do it, it doesn't sound very useful.
          Keep us updated on your progress.
          There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.

Comment

I would leave the pond until last, as long as it's not a hazard - the frogs will help keep down any slugs and insects that might eat your crops, so are well worth encouraging (not to mention the fact that amphibians are the most endangered group on earth at the moment ). We have frogs and lizards on our lottie (the frogs thanks to a neighbour's tiny pond), and it's always a joy to see them.

Comment

Yep just take a section at a time and before you know it you will have a fantastic garden
              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
              and ends with backache

Comment

if you put up a little raised bed 8 by 4 foot st rim the area where you will put the raised bed put the frame in place now put layers of old news paper on the soil at least 1o pages thick then water this to keep it in place .most local councils give away free compost which they have made them selves to local people if it is well composted put this on the news paper it must be at least 6 inches high so the edges of the raised bed should be at least 6 inches high. to this you could add any other organic material like seaweed meal etc. just beware compost that is too fresh could burn your plants
                if that is too much put thick cardboard on the soil surface use bricks to keep it down and plant through this cabbages like firm ground this is the no did garden method .

do one bed at a time and plant fast maturing plants this will give you encouragement to keep adding beds
                ONE BED AT A TIME hope this helps
                one years weed is seven years seed

Comment

advice from others is good, but for the dog: i would cordon off a bit of ground at the back or something, and make the dog go to the toilet in there. you can then get a green cone, which is a contraption that is half buried in the ground, a cone ontop, but which will also decompose things that a normal composter won't, like meat, dog food, etc. Its also not like a composter in the sense of getting "finished" compost out of the bottom - the bottom of the cone in the ground is "open" and the decomposed stuff leaks out of the bottom, and you only need to remove build up every so often. The only thing to be aware of is that you'll need to mix the dog waste with a good proportion of food waste, so you can't only use your green cone for dog poop.

the green cone is expensive (£80) but worth it, i think, given that it'll handle just about all kitchen waste - if i could afford one, i would get one!

keth
                  xx

Comment

I agree with allll the above, a little at a time. Once you have one small area you will be heartened to go on and create another small area and so on.

I had the back garden from hell two years ago, now I have a decking area to sit out on and a bare bed waiting to become a herb bed - I ignore all the rest that is still a mess and concentrate on what I've done so far, and the next SMALL bit along.

Good luck with it all - do come back and let us know about your progress. Small steps and all that.
                    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X