No announcement yet.

Things i will do different next year..

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next year I will not pull up my purple sprouting brocolli, thinking, 'it's too late to eat as it's flowering!!!'

Comment

Next year, when OH and I are discussing what goes where I will record all conversations with him and make plans so detailed that I may need a piece of paper the size of the actual allotment and then I will get several copies made and then stick one to his forehead so that he can't ever say "But we never said that was going there..." and then, and only then, will I let him loose with a packet of seeds.

Comment

Next year.....I will try to dig out all the potatoes from the ground. I;ve got pots from2 years ago coming up with my onions and leeks, and today I found shoots of last years amongst my broad beans and mangetout. Crop rotation -hah. Still they've all been lovely in the past so Im just going to let them grow and see what happens - if they threaten to take over, I guess I''ll have to dig them out.

francesbean
        My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

Next year I will leave it a bit longer until I sow my seeds.
          Next year I will not sow as many seeds.
          Next year I will be a bit more adventurous with my choices.
          Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

Originally posted by stanhol View Post
            I`m not going to cook my runner beans, peas peppers etc in my sort of propogator in a greenhouse in blazing sun! Checked the temp under the plastic, ooopps 35 +. Think they are dead! I will let them germinate on their own slowly! Instead of trying t be clever!

Off to the shops to buy more seed.

Sandra
            Thanks for that Sandra, you saved my parsnip seedlings from a fate worse than death - roasting in their own toilet roll middles
            A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I will not assume everyone is exaggerating about the flippin damage the cabbage white caterpillars can cause, and next year i will net them in April. Out of five lovely big cabbages i have managed to salvage enough for two meals. The rest have been trashed by caterpillars

Wren

Comment

i will not assume that nothing will grow and sow the whole packet ....... just in case.

i will also make sure i have somewhere to put said excesses of germinated seedlings.

i will not think oh never mind those seeds won't grow in the lawn anyway when i've dropped them.

i will check out what conditions each plant likes rather than just chucking them in with a bit of compost and hoping.

i will not sow loads of different veg in one bed then realise i'm supposed to rotate them next year (i know that now)

i will label everything, and not weed round the weeds thinking that's where i've sowed my parsnips, and that could be sweetcorn that's moved.

i will make sure overhanging trees are chopped down before planting loads of veg right underneath where it will fall when we actually get round to doing it.

i will make paths in flower beds so i can reach the veg that i decided to plant right at the back

i will also try not to go out every 10 minutes to check whether anything has grown since the last time i looked 10 mins ago.

I will also finally get round to putting the gate up at the side of the house rather than stacking loads of stuff up to stop the dog getting out, then realising too late that it's fallen over and the dog has been missing for an hour ...... and been to visit all the neighbours and put on half a stone from all the treats they have given her.

i will also stop chucking pulled up weeds on the patio, and leaving crap on the lawn so that it goes all yellow.

and lastly i WILL find someone to get rid of the massive spiders in the shed, so i can get in there and clear it out

hopefully after all that, and planting things at the right time, i might actually have something eatable

Comment

I loved reading these and it's so good to know that we all do the same things. Is there a way of putting a big red marker on this thread for all newbies (still count myself there, been growing for 6 years-lots to learn yet)
                  I did sit twiddling my thumbs for a few extra weeks this year after sowing everything much too early last year and watching leggy plants struggling without enough daylight and it's paid off, much stronger plants this year.

But next year I will get a new marker pen, all the labels are now blank, and apart from what's already grown, most of the brassicas look the same to me.

And next year I will remember about Bordeaux mixture and watch my potatoes like a hawk.
                  Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                  So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Next year I will operate a shoot on sight policy for pigeons and crows and rabbits, but especially pigeons
                    Next year I will not grow French Beans.
                    Next year I will not grow young veg plants for garden centres, just for myself.
                    Next year I will have approx 1000 strawberry plants
                    Next year I shall invest in a mechanical planter to plant my onion sets and brassicas.
                    Next year I shall invest in a mechanical scarifier to weed my crops.
                    And by this time next year Rodney, I'll be a millionaire
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good thread Wren Nice to know I'm not alone on this learning curve! As well as what's already been posted, next year I will pick, process and preserve my crop more efficiently. I get really cross with myself when I've grown stuff then compost it because of being disorganised and indecisive.

TGR
                      TGR

Comment

Next year i will not believe my brother when he said he would 'help' Im still waiting for my 2nd shed to be put up that was started in Feb!!! (then has the cheek to ask me to pick some veg for him!)

I will also try and learn the art of staggering sowing!

I will also stop trying to be clever and spacing out my seeds - ie now have massive gaps in between my carots n beetroot etc

Phew, why do we bother!!!

Comment

Next year I won't sprinkle a whole packet of Mizuna seeds in a pot and then read the back of the packet and realise there were over 500 seeds!

Comment

Next year I will not get carried away and get what my boyfriend calls 'vegelitis'. It's a terrible disease, which causes the indivdual to plant non stop, then have to dig up even more of the garden which 9 time out of 10 they are told they can't do, to make space for everything!!!
                            Best love

Steelsy
                            xxx

www.myspace.com/steelsy

Comment

Next year I will plant in succession and not plant 75 lettuce for 2 of us which all matures at the same time.
                              Next year I will plant more crop of less numbers and not end up with a potential 2,500 toms for 2 of us!!
                              Next year my raised beds will be completed and I will put weed supresser down to help.
                              Next year i'm gonna grow some really hot chillies

Comment

Next year I will have another (larger) bed for my spuds.
                                Next year I will have another (larger) freezer for my excesses.
                                Next year I will plant more varieties.
                                Next year I will not put out my onion sets too early so that they all bolt.
                                Next year I will have chickens.
                                Next year I will not plant my toms and courgettes too close so that I lacerate my calves everytime I walk between them.
                                Next year I will wait until my spuds are actually ready before digging them up.
                                Next year I will net my soft fruit so that the dog doesn't get to them first.
                                Next year I will do the loo roll thing with my parsnips rather than wait 4 months to find that only 5 have germinated.
                                Next year I will rule the world (ar at least my veg patch!)
                                Tx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X