Pollination question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollination question

All my vegies are indoors and I have a bit of a problem, some are starting to flower. How does one go about pollination? The plants coming into flower are butternut squash, tomatoes and courgettes. I know that courgettes have male and female but what about butternut squash? Ive only got one flower at the mo and Im guessing its female as it has a large ish swelling behind the flower or are they all like that? I havent got any bugs flying around so how do I pollinate the toms by hand.
    HELP
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Hi Alison,

All squashes (both summer and winter type) has male and female flowers. The female flower has a mini fruit at the base of the flower. To hand pollinate them use cotton bud or brush, bring the pollen from the male flower to the female flower of the same species plant. Good luck .
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

They should be outside hardening off by now? (for 7-10 days) When's your last frost? They can go outside proper after that date.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The last frost here was friday. Do you think they will be ok in my unheated pop up greenhouse?
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

Probably but put a bit of bubble wrap or fleece round them to be sure.

Courgettes and squash will easily hand pollinate but let them get going a bit first before you start yanking off the flowers. Plenty of time yet.
          Also when you do don't waste them. either shred into salad or stuff with cream cheese and dip in flour and saute for a yummy snack or starter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X