pot sizes???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pot sizes???

what's the smallest pot size i could use for chilli plants? I have gone a bit overboard with my sowing and have loads of baby plants and I'm now worried that they won;t all fit in the greenhouse!
    x

You'd be far better to have fewer plants in bigger pots, than to have loads of little weaklings that don't crop well.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Last year I got away with three plants per 10" pot and they cropped well. Are all yours the same variety, or lots of different ones?

Comment

i think i've got about 20 cayenne plants and 10/15 mixed surprise chillies from a previous issue of GYO. the cayennes definitely need replanting soon as they're about 9 inches tall but the mixed ones are still only tiny.

Comment

I must be doing something wrong. I put mine in the same size pots in the top of the growbag as I do with the toms and they get to about 4 feet.
          http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

With chillies, if you restrict the pot size, they will crop earlier but with a smaller crop - if you put them into bigger pots they will spend more time growing plant & leaf, but you will get a bigger crop. So why not plant them out into aa range of pot sizes, then you can stagger the harvest? They are definately ok putting a few into a large pot - we do this every year, as every year we over-do the sowing If the plants are spindly, plant them deeper with compost up to their seed leaves, this will bulk the stem up a bit & make them stonger. Oh, and water in the morning if poss, chillis don't like standing with wet feet all night

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X