seedlings - a comment not a question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seedlings - a comment not a question

Is it just me,or do others find it really difficult to thin out seedlings?

I seem to have a surplus of onions, cabbages, cauli's, leeks and lettuce.

I'm getting a bit short of space and pots for potting on, so I am forced to throw the thinned out seedlings away. Even though it means the remaining ones will do better, I find it just so hard to waste all that potential

I didn't expect such good germination rates - note to self for next year - sow much thinner.
    Never say never!

better to have to many than not enough,is there no one else you can give them to,or swap for anything else,and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by lottie dolly; 17-05-2008, 07:31 AM.
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I never seem to get the thinning right so this year I have been sowing singly in fibre pots. That way they can stay where they are until planting out time. If not enough germinate, I sow more which helps with the follow-on sowing too.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

If it's a big/expensive seed, I sow one per module/cell.
        Otherwise, it's 2 to a module, and thin out (compost or eat) the weaker one. You don't pot up thinnings - that's something else called pricking out.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

So is pricking out seedlings and putting them in their own pots not called potting on? and if not, what is potting on? is it when they get too big for their pot and get moved to a bigger one?

In which case, if you single sowed in a small pot, and then moved the seedling to a bigger pot, would that be both pricking out and potting on at the same time? or is that called something else entirely?

The trouble I have is not enough pots or space to put them, even if I had some (otherwise I would just buy some!)
          Last edited by Oleander; 17-05-2008, 08:12 AM. Reason: format
          Never say never!

Comment

What you have said is right. When you take a plant out of a smaller pot and put it into a larger pot. That is potting on.

When you seedlings out of a seed tray full of young plants and put them into individual pots for the first time. That is pricking out.
            James the novice

Comment

A comment, not a question that ends with a question mark ?
              How do you do that ?
              Is it a gift ?
              Or have you practised over the years ?

Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

mmmm - maybe a rhetorical question - you know, the type that doesn't need an answer
                Never say never!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X