Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot Sizes - Would appreciate advice.

Hi everyone.

Apologies if I have put this in the wrong place. I am looking at repotting my chilli and pepper and I have read they would be better in a 9" pot, is the 9" the diameter? (sorry for silly question).

Also I have some 'big boy' tomatoes which I believe are an outdoor variety. They are getting quite big now so whay size pot would I need to plant them into? I have also read that its too early to put them outside yet but they are currently in my unheated greenhouse so I will keep them in there. I also got given another variety of tomato but cannot remember what it is called other than its another outside and produce small cherry like tomatoes..

Any advice gratefully received.

P.

Hi Sawpaw,

Yes the size is the diameter.

With Toms this year I'm going to put some of mine in grow bags cut in half and stood on end, pots, not smaller than 12" diameter and raised beds......i've over done the Tomato sowing this year so they'll be going in pretty much wherever there's space!!
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

It is usually said that Big Boy fares better indoors, so you don't have actually have to put it outside - as long as your greenhouse is well ventilated and you can control the temperature.

It is a big, vigorous plant which produces very large, very heavy fruit, so whatever you do make sure that it has good support and plenty of good quality compost or soil in which to grow. A 12-14 inch pot is the minimum for a large-fruited tomato.

If you put your tomatoes outside, do it gradually - out during the day, in at night - for a few days. Don't plant out until your last expected frost date.

Comment

Thanks Peanut & Cutecumber

Will take your advise on board and do as you say.

Once again, many thanks

P.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X