Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire destroyed my fir trees

Hello to you all
    We have had a fire which has destroyed the trees that lined one side of the garden - unfortunately the car park on the other side of the fence is now fully exposed. The most important thing was that the house didn't catch though and that we got out. Anyway the trees which are around 25 ft tall have been badly scorched from around 12 inches up . With some of the tops still intact. Does anyone know if they can be saved? Or do they need to be chopped down. Being a great tree lover I really would love to keep them if that is at all possible.
    Many thanks
    buddha nature

Hi, I'm sorry I can't give you any advice about your trees, but very glad everone is safe and your house is OK.

Comment

They may go on living but they will never regrow any of the damaged greenery they will remain looking like trees that have been in a fire IMO best thing to do is remove and replant.

Comment

We sometimes drive through parts of Spain which have had fires. Judging by what we see there, trees which stay green at the top survive, but you never get any new growth on the scorched parts. You may get regrowth springing up from the bits below fire level. The only way to tell on that is to wait and see. If you don't see new shoots from low down by late spring next year, it ain't gonna happen. You might find it easier to grow some climbers up the remnants while waiting for results.
        Ones which show no signs of survival at high level I would cut down to where they are unburned. If they have the capacity to regrow from low down, this will encourage it.
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I'd also be inclined to remove and replant, sad and all as that would be for you. The good thing is that it's coming into the time when trees like to be moved generally as they are dormant.

Perhaps, as an interim measure until new ones grow a little, you could plant new trees between the older ones (and maybe have climbers up the old ones - that's a good idea). To keep a certain amount of screening from the car park. And then cut the older ones once the newer ones are well established and reaching a decent enough size to be a screen for you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X