When will I see cauli's?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will I see cauli's?

I planted out my cauli's back in May. I have lots of leaves but no cauliflower head. When will these appear? I have also heard that I need to cover the head (when it eventually shows) with the leaves is this correct?

i'm still waiting for heads on mine planted end of may too.

Comment

What sort of cauli's are they what did it say on the packet, I have some april sown cauli's that aren't due till Dec/Jan, the curd need covering with a leaf to protect them from the sun so no worries there then eh.
      Last edited by PAULW; 06-09-2008, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
        What sort of cauli's are they
        white ones

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
        what did it say on the packet,
        plant in the ground and you'll get caulis

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
          white ones

plant in the ground and you'll get caulis
          Lol!!!!!!!!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My "Ottobrino" romanesco hasn't headed up yet, either. I blame the rubbish weather! Mind you, last year I harvested this so-called October crop in February, thanks to the miserable summer.

Comment

If you don't know what type of cauliflower you are growing - i.e. summer, winter, spring - let alone the variety, it's kinda impossible to say when it will head up.

Very broadly speaking, the bog standard cauli's like "All the Year Round", are sown in spring and therefore you should expect heads around October.

But to be honest, you just have to wait and see.

Comment

Packet says maturity in Feb so i guess I have plenty of time to wait. I was just getting impatient I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                  If you don't know what type of cauliflower you are growing - i.e. summer, winter, spring - let alone the variety, it's kinda impossible to say when it will head up.

Very broadly speaking, the bog standard cauli's like "All the Year Round", are sown in spring and therefore you should expect heads around October.

But to be honest, you just have to wait and see.
                  i woz trying to be funny i have all the year round

Comment

Depending on sowing dates, areas grown and climatic conditions All Year Round cauli's (as there name suggests!) can mature in most months. The trick is to get them to mature in the month you want them!

My allotment neighbour was cutting AYR caulis in April/May!
                    Last edited by Snadger; 07-09-2008, 01:40 PM.
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

LINDA
                      i woz trying to be funny i have all the year round

I knew that, your posting have kept me amused for a long time
                      Last edited by PAULW; 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I checked my 'Snowball' today, they should be ready now, but the heads are only the size of a golfball at the moment. I guess the weather has put a check on their development.

I did have one in July that seemed to be doing really well (about the size of a tea plate) but it was very flat. I covered it with a leaf and thought I'd leave it for a week or so to fill out. When I came back the thing had gone mental! It had thrown up random crazy contorted stems with florets on the ends. I imagine it was bolting, so I picked it quickly and had 'crazy cauliflower cheese' for tea!
                        Last edited by Pumpkin Becki; 07-09-2008, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          The trick is to get them to mature in the month you want them!
                          sometime before they die will be fine by me .... nearly everything i planted was a bit late, so getting any cauli at all will be a bonus

Comment

i just planted my cauli the other week...always nice to see something growing in the garden

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                              sometime before they die will be fine by me .... nearly everything i planted was a bit late, so getting any cauli at all will be a bonus
                              Ok then the YEAR you want em! Lol

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X