End of the season for indoor tomato?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
    you could try building it a cane wigwam to tie it too, to help it cope. if you haven't already that is.
    Thanks for the idea. It does have a couple of canes in the pot to support it, but as its grown a wigwam with a wider base would be a lot better.
    Today's mistake is tomorrow's compost...

Comment

Over winter grown tomato plants are great for taking healthy cuttings from to root up and put outside in the spring. What I did this year was let a side shoot grow up about six or seven inches, then in May I cut them off and stuck them in water to root. Once they had a half dozen roots about an inch long I potted them up into three inch pots, left them a week inside to establish true roots, then hardened them off for planting outside (they were an indoor/outdoor variety). Sure saved a lot of effort and space compared with starting from seedlings. Disclaimer- I wouldn't suggest doing this for your entire collection of tomatoes you plan to grow though. There are issues to consider when you start cloning things.. such as the same level of susceptibility to exactly the same diseases/blights, where as natural variants found in seeds grown from the same packet (but all with different parents) would mean you're less likely to have the entire crop wiped out. That aside, it's a fun experiment to try.. and I plan to do it again next year in addition to new varieties from seed.

Comment

On a similar subject......

Marshall 2008 Kitchen Garden Summer Catalogue appear to be advertising Shirley F1 tomatoes specifically for autumn sowing in unheated greenhouses (p.19).

At least, they are listed in their Autumn Sowing Vegetable Seed Section (p.16-19) as 'specially suited to unheated greenhouses'. This implies (to me anyway, as a newbie) that you can sow them in autumn.

Or, have I misunderstood this, and does it just mean mature plants will last/fruit longer into the autumn season in an unheated green house than other varieties?

I'm really confused

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X