Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes for growing outside?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes for growing outside?

Hi, I was wondering what the best varieties of cucumber, pepper and tomato were for growing outside? I tried an F1 cucumber bought from b&q (no idea what variety it was) but that died before flowering, my peppers did ok but I had to had them in the conservatory in the end as they weren't doing well at all outside, and my tomatoes ended up with blight! Do fool-proof varieties exist lol?

And suggestions would be most welcome!
    ~+~ Eagerly awaiting my first allotment ~+~

Well - none of my back garden tomatoes got blight (Tomaska, Sungold, Gartenperle) but ALL my allotment tomatoes did (Tamina, Tigerella, Subarctic Plenty).

What does that tell you? That either the soil or the air on the allotment is contaminated. I'm still quite ignorant on how blight is spread, and whether or not the spores survive in the soil/compost.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Are there varieties that are more blight resistant than others? I would hope it wasn't the soil I grew them in as it was bought compost, none of the neighbours seem to do much in the way of gardening let alone veg growing, although from upstairs I can see a couple of houses that have greenhouses, so maybe it is spread by the air but if so they must be able to travel a bit of a distance!

Comment

Sungold has been more blight-resistant than my others.
        But, the skins split real easy.
        If it's not one problem, it's another
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

nothing is ever easy is it! still, I'll give it a go, if only so that I can prove my partner wrong, he reckons growing tomatoes outside is a waste of time and would be cheaper to buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by littlepooley View Post
            if only so that I can prove my partner wrong, he reckons growing tomatoes outside is a waste of time and would be cheaper to buy them.
            This is the first year I've grown tomatoes (all from plants rather than seed) and I suspect adding up all the costs I've spent more than if I'd just gone to Netto, but garden-fresh taste makes it all worthwhile.

I've had mixed experience with blight. The Moneymakers in a growbag on the patio have so far been unscathed, as was the tumbler in a basket but the growbag behind the shed and the nearby ones planted in soil (mix of Moneymakers and a plum variety of some sort that my cousin gave me) have been hit pretty badly. As ever, there's always next year to do better!
            Today's mistake is tomorrow's compost...

Comment

I agree, the taste is much better which I want to grow them - plus it easier to go into your garden to pick a tomato than going all the way to supermarket whenever you fancy one!

Comment

Hi LP, I don't think there is a blight resistant tomato and I don't think it is too wise to put peppers outside, maybe onto a warm patio, providing you don't have mice, birds, caterpillars, etc.

Burpless tasty green cucumbers usually do well outdoors.

Comment

Thank you, might well try those cucumbers!

Comment

My Red Alert have been blight free outside but in some cases are next to other varieties which have succombed. They're only small fruits but very tasty and they cook well. Re peppers, I've managed a few outside this year from Lipstick and Gypsy, the fruits are a lot smaller than my greenhouse ones (but then again they were the spare plants and the best ones went inside) but when you consider what a rubbish summer we've had then I'm quite impressed. If you want the best of both worlds then you can always grow in pots and bring inside if the weather looks bad but just make sure you chose a variety that matures quickly and is suited to our climate.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The tomato varieties Ferline and Legend are supposed to be blight resistant, although I haven't tried them myself so I can't really tell you anything about them!

Comment

Littlepooley, I grew Marketmore cucumbers outside this year (my first year of growing) and I was over the moon with the results. I'll definately grow them next year, but next year I'll construct some kind of support for them to climb up

Comment

Lots more suggestions - thank you I've managed to get my sister to agree to save some me some seeds from her pepper plant that has done really well outside, she got it from a garden centre and its name is tinkerbell, although I'm not sure if that's the variety or just a cute name the garden centre gave it to make it more appealing lol! Either way saves me the cost of a pack of seeds

Comment

I think that Tinkerbell are an F1 type so will not grow true to type so don't expect any fruits you get next year to be the same as the ones your sis grew this year but that doesn't mean it's not worth a try.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hello Littlepooley, I've never tried peppers outside as I just don't think we have the climate for it.
                              For outdoor cucumbers Bedfordshire Prize and Crystal Apple (little round yellow ones) both did well for me.
                              As for tomatoes - Red Cherry and Ilde produced great trusses of fruit - and got blighted at the last minute. I was a bit sick about that.
                              Blight doesn't arrive until August (it's air borne) so early varieties are the safest bet.
                              You can spray against it with Dithane if you're not averse. Everything you buy in the shops has been sprayed.
                              Anyway, good luck for next year - to you and me both.
                              Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X