Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manure - well rotted?

Hello All

I got my plot in March so still a newbie with much to learn. Last weekend we got some manure and dug it in only now I am worried that it may not be well rotted as it looks light brown compared to other stuff which is dark brown. Will it matter if it isnt well rotted, will rot over the winter and be OK for spring planting? I am worried as I am planning an asparagus bed (advenurous for a newbie I know, but hey - nothing ventured...) and hope to get on with it asap in the spring. I haven't manured the whole plot so I would be able to plant elsewhere if this manure is no good.

Hope I'm posting this thread thing OK - I'm new to this too!!

I've often wondered what "well rotted" means.
    A memory from childhood....My next door neighbour had a skip of manure delivered and "muggins" was volunteered to help him move it from road to back garden. It didn't smell at all! Is that the definition ? Non-smelling manure is well rotted ?
    Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Faintly 'earthy' smell, crumbly,dark coloured and full of worms is usually a sign of well rotted manure!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hope mine was well rotted then I've made an asparagus bed in the garden at home, shoved a 6" layer of chicken coop sweepings in the bottom, coverred that with compost from the dalek, another layer of soil/compost from the old compost heap in the chicken run, a layer of farmyard + stable manure then topped the lot with used growbags. The asparagus seedlings seem to be doing ok anyway (so far!)
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Well, its not well rotted by the sound of things. So will I be able to plant in it next spring or will it damage any plants?

Comment

Well rotted!

My retired hubby helps with Riding for the Disabled and twice a week last winter he brought home two buckets of 'fresh' manure. We took it to the allotment, piled it up and covered it and left it all summer (?!) It looks lovely now - all dark and crumbly.

Comment

Two buckets! Thats only about a minutes work for a horse

You'll need more than that.
              "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

If it no longer resembles manure - then it's well rotted.
                If you leave it all winter, it should be fine by March or April.

--------------

One advantage to rotting it on a compost heap rather than spreading it over your ground - is if it contains something bad (like a herbicide) then you haven't erm, spread it all over your plot ...
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X