No announcement yet.

Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rhubarb likes acidic soil and loves well rotten manure, i use a basic liquid grow more plant food, from end of feb till july august once a fortnight and water from a water butt the rest of the time in hot weather, to help sweeten rhubarb, dissolve some sugar in small amount of hot water then add to the plant food feed then 2 days after this cut your sticks.
    be aware when forcing rhubarb the crowns are sometimes no good afterwards and most books recommend discarding, i never force mine, but i do freeze the extra for winter,
    also it grows well in pots too then you can find it but yes it does die down and goes all black, i have 5 pots and a friend with over 60 rhubarb plants as he loves the stuff, my 5 plants where free, down side to this is there varieties are unknown, but everyone in the family assures me its nice but i hate rhubarb so will take there word for it.

Comment

Indestructable - I don't think so lol! I managed to kill the first Rhubarb I was given. Doesn't bode well for my veg-growing talents does it? I love Rhubarb, it's a childhood memory, as my Grandparents grew it.

I planted a pot-grown Timperley Early last year and had a fairly good crop from it. I was recommended to mulch with well-rotted manure in November, which I did. Interestingly I bought another yesterday on impulse - as you do.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

You killed rhubarb Glutton???

*bows down in fear*

You must be dead 'ard.
        I find it impossible to kill, the only thing I do to look after it is, once the plants have died down for the winter, I cover the whole bed in a 2" layer of rotted horse manure. Other than that I do nothing at all, and still it comes back.
        And I suspect I do more than some people, and still theirs grows too.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I looked for my rhubarb at the lottie on Sunday but I can't see it at all! I do hope I haven't killed it off. The crown I've got in the back garden is just coming into growth again and as the lottie ones were planted at the same time I thought they would be too. Perhaps the lottie ones are a bit more exposed. Fingers crossed they do come up this year! I want to make some jam and crumbles and pies and stuff
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

My nan had rhubarb. It got half buried under plastic for years. It lives on! Not been touched for years, and yet it goes on and on. I pinched 2 bits, one lived and one died but wasn't in a good spot. She says can I make her some crumble pease this year as she doesn't do a lot of cooking any more... I will try!

Comment

There's every chance that your back garden will have a mean temperature higher than your lottie Maureen, unless you live right out in the sticks, and your lottie is in the middle of a large conurbation.
              I'm sure it will be fine. There cant be 2 rhubarb killers on the vine, its just not possible.
              Bob Leponge
              Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X